Swiss life hacks list

Speaking of which, does Pi-hole count as a life hack?
And maybe Wireguard?

I got rid of a ton of junk in my online traffic.

1 Like

For sure makes your digital life much more enjoyable. It may also save you some money by not being comstantly tempted by what would have been advertised to you.

1 Like

Wireguard
to ? Do you have a vps somewhere?

1 Like

From my mobile devices back to my home router and use DNS through the Pi-Hole.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good plan. I just use uBlock Origin but I always wondered if it makes sense to implement the same solution you have, only maybe with a cheap vps.

For anyone looking for a phone abo all inclusive, most certainly the best offer available in CH QoQa - Sunrise Abo illimité "Sunrise Q Mobile 2022" à vie usually available 2 times a year for a day.

3 Likes

Too bad that the cashback is only valid for the Qoqa site itself

1 Like

Always some shit to buy on that website especially for wine lovers ahah

2 Likes

But only if you stay on the countries near CH or Portugal and Spain.
(sorry I didn’t resist. I’ve read the page and it repeats that sentence 1000s times)

3 Likes

Coming back to the topic of Pihole and Wireguard, since I have some time on my hands. I also think that this qualifies as a Mustachian life hack of some sort: Less ads and trackers, more privacy, a more uncluttered online experience.

Pihole

The advantages are several: uBlock Origin removes ads, trackers & co from your browser, but a Pihole removes them from the entire network that uses it as a DNS, and is not limited to web browsers. If you have an app that shows ads, those will be gone, too. I also see it blocking trackers and telemetry from our smart TV and washing machine.

At my home, it’s running on a Raspberry Pi 4. My router advertises it as DNS through DHCP. And the router itself is set as the upstream DNS in the Pihole. Essentially, that’s it.

Wireguard

I also use the Raspi for Wireguard. This is maybe at bit more complex than the Pihole, but in a nutshell: Open a UDP port on the router, install Wireguard using PiVPN on the Raspi; PiVPN allows for a more comfortable management of clients. On the mobile clients, I have setup Wireguard as “on-demand”, meaning it’s automatically active as soon as they leave my home wifi. My cell phone has a “full tunnel”, meaning all traffic is routed back through my home router, for increased security, but one could also opt for a “split tunnel” and route only DNS through the home router and the Pihole.

For more details, there are many tutorials on the internet. There are many tech savvy people in this forum. I’m curious to see what others might say.

4 Likes

0_o

I’ve read the pihole doesn’t work with some apps, namely youtube. Not that I worry.
I’d like it to block that annoying main ad on my android tv box ;(

1 Like

I can confirm that. Pihole only blocks DNS requests. Youtube ads come from the same IP address as the video feed, so you cannot block them that way.
I don’t have an android tv box, but there are probably solutions to block those ads. Getting a little off topic here.

1 Like

Done ! Worked like a charm !
At step 5, first had to login with CH IP, then connect TR VPN and finally refreshed the page to get turkish prices !

2 Likes

Nice to hear that! Ah yes, you are right: I did not mention to log in with CH IP, otherwise Netflix won’t let you in :smiley: Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers!

Anybody using the TCS fuel price radar?
Not that it’s worth driving far to save on fuel prices, but if I travel somewhere I check where fuel costs less.

3 Likes

Has anyone received YouTube email that

Blockquote Update your YouTube payment method to avoid service disruption
Due to a recent change in Visa’s processing policies in Argentina, payments may be declined if your card was not issued by an Argentine Bank. If you use an international Visa credit card or debit card, payments may fail and your subscription may be suspended.

1 Like

My spouse get reka with discount that I can use to buy fuel.

It does not list all web shops. But it lists lots of “Swiss” web shops that are only webpages in .ch and import stuff. So the risk to pay to dhl for customs clearance on top is high

3 Likes

Didn’t receive the email and just today got my subscription deducted on my neon card so no issues as of right now.

1 Like

what is your settings for subscription? (which country)