What surprising problems do you have when you actually retire early in Switzerland? Are there things that you didn’t include in your planning and wish you had thought about while you were still working?
I don’t know the answer but I wonder about some potential gotchas…
- Citizenship and residence permits: Can you successfully apply for these when you are FIRE? Are you at risk of not getting your B/C permit renewed if you are not working?
- AHV: Do you have to keep paying contributions in FIRE? How much?
- Taxes: How does this picture change in FIRE e.g. with wealth tax?
- Housing: Can you rent an apartment when you have no job and salary?
- Weirdo factor: Is it difficult or embarrassing to explain your FIRE situation e.g. to the local Gemeinde?
- Subsidies: Some services like childcare are subsidised for people with low incomes. Can you access these subsidies legally? (Morally?)
I would love to hear what doubts other people have and especially how it is going for anybody who has actually pulled the trigger on FIRE in Switzerland.