Swiss bank fees - are mine too high?

Hi all,

I wonder if these fees are OK for a (relatively small) private bank:
Buy/sell - 0.7%
Custody - 0.35% p.a.
I am not a resident of Switzerland and live abroad (EU).
The way I see it, such fees make it prohibitive to use the bank even for a buy and hold approach.
Are there banks with lower fees and is it generally possible to negotiate these?

Regards,
M

Yes, it’s high but standard for a bank.
Choose a broker like IB, Degiro, Swissquote, ect

I forgot to mention it, but I already have accounts at IB and Saxo :slight_smile:
I wonder if it is possible to renegotiate the fees or find a bank with lower fees. And is the custody at banks any different from custody at brokers? Is using a bank more “safe”?
Thanks,
M

normal for old school banks

discount broker != bank

why did they even let you open the account then? typically it’s only for residents or hnwis

I agree about transaction costs as they become negligible if one buys and holds for a long time. However, transaction fees also apply when rebalancing …
Re: custody: if I am correct, it is not even real custody as the shares are “kept” in the name of the bank and not in my name… so what is the logic behind high custody fees?

then direct your q’s to your advisor, that’s what you’re paying them for

As I mentioned, I am not a resident :slight_smile:

Update: I was able to negotiate a .35% trading fee and .25% for custody. Still high but seems normal for a Swiss bank.

M

2 Likes

It was fairly easy - I called my banker and insisted on better pricing :slight_smile: Fortunately, they were able to give me a discount.