[SOLVED] I can not invest in US domiciled ETF anymore with IB

same issue happened here. I hate IB now, they are the definition of customer unfriendliness with their UI and language.

Anyhow, buying VWCE or VWRL is apparently equivalent to VT, but EU domiciled - are there any drawbacks?

1 Like

Buying VT still worked last month and now it doesn’t. The page redirects to an info page saying the KID is not available in my local language (German I guess?) and there is no way to accept it on my end.
Can still sell the position but that’s it.

Do I need to sell VT and rotate the capital onto WVRL or similar now?

no need for a new thread. Please merge with the other one…

oh damn so it’s not just me :man_shrugging:

@Dr.PI pls close/merge this one.

Oh crap, I write in the wrong thread, sorry!

1 Like
2 Likes

A friend told me that it’s still working at his UBS account.

No. Every instance of a broker restricting trading in a security (for lack of an information document) I‘m aware of, they allowed you to keep the stock position - just not make further purchases.

Drawbacks? Costs are slightly higher. Tax as well (if you do the paperwork for U.S. ETFs, with Irish ETFs there’s less to do, as they’ll be distributing tax-free to you).

1 Like

now blocked again :sweat_smile: according to chat statements, the problems still exist and the processing still needs time :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Below is the answer I’ve received this morning (sounds positive):

This issue is related to review by our Legal and Compliance department of the transition period for new requirements under the Swiss Financial Services Act FinSA of 2020 which is going to expire.

We have started to make products subject to the European Union’s PRIIPs regulation available again to our clients resided in Switzerland. Temporarily restricted products should be automatically available for you again as soon as the update is rolled over for your account. The rollover process has started and is currently ongoing, no further actions are needed from your side.

8 Likes

I got a similar response today:

Dear xxx

Thank you for contacting Interactive Brokers Client Services.

The warnings, order cancellations or rejections for instruments without Key Information Documents (KIDs) are related to a temporary technical issue on our side which will be resolved soon. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

We have started to make products without KIDs subject to the European Union’s PRIIPs regulation available again to our clients resided in Switzerland. Temporarily restricted products should be automatically available for you again as soon as the update is rolled over for your account. The rollover process has started and is currently ongoing, no further actions are needed from your side.

As the update will be fully implemented, as a Swiss resident you will be able to place opening orders for products (e.g. ETFs) without KIDs again. You will be also able to resubmit your canceled orders if you would like to.

We ask for your for your patience until the process is completed.

Best regards,
Balint
IBKR Trade Desk

19 Likes

Hello, I received now the same answer.I believe will be fixed soon!

Did the forum arrive at a consensus on it? Don‘t think so. Though I‘ve read much wishful thinking and interpretation.

To be clear, targeting Swiss customers doesn’t mean they have to take put big billboards and other advertisement in the streets.

The fact that a) they‘re explicitly saying, they are „servicing Swiss customers“ on their website and b) that they have a Swiss representation for their U.K. unit and c) that they localised their site into national languages and make them available through a .ch domain name makes the claim of reverse-solicitation only quite a stretch. While Switzerland may be laxer in that respect, I‘m sure that some EU jurisdictions and their financial regulators or courts would find that more than enough to conclude that they‘re marketing to Swiss customers (and one main purpose of this Swiss legislation is to level the playing field and achieve equivalency with EU/EEA rules).

The „execution-only“ clause will probably be the best hope for (direct) availability of U.S. ETFs to retail customers.

A non-binding reply is one thing, actual policy of brokers is another. They may very well err on the side of caution.

This answer, as posted by @Ceitinn above…

This issue is related to review by our Legal and Compliance department of the transition period for new requirements under the Swiss Financial Services Act FinSA of 2020 which is going to expire.

…does indicate to me that they believe they are subject to this Swiss law.

1 Like

Not exactly, there’s quite the crucial difference in fact:

And a lot of doomsayers and FUD :slight_smile:

Yes, a broker can do as they want and be ultra conservative (and they probably don’t have a choice if they’re domiciled in EU/EEA), but there’s so many ways they don’t have necessarily have to.

reverse-solicitation/executation-only, increasing existing positions is also explicitly allowed, etc.

https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/58957.pdf (p18 and following)

I think Switzerland was pretty clear they didn’t want to apply Mifid as is.

2 Likes

Recieved the same answer today. Hope I can soon buy VT again!

2 Likes

I have been thinking about opening a second broker account for some time. I might keep IB for Swiss/Euro securities and for the low fees on currency exchange, and open a Charles Schwab account for US etfs. Maybe I’ll get decent customer service, who knows.

1 Like

same same here:

the answer:

Thank you for contacting Interactive Brokers Client Services.

The warnings, order cancellations or rejections for instruments without Key Information Documents (KIDs) are related to a temporary technical issue on our side which will be resolved soon. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

We have started to make products without KIDs subject to the European Union’s PRIIPs regulation available again to our clients resided in Switzerland. Temporarily restricted products should be automatically available for you again as soon as the update is rolled over for your account. The rollover process has started and is currently ongoing, no further actions are needed from your side.

As the update will be fully implemented, as a Swiss resident you will be able to place opening orders for products (e.g. ETFs) without KIDs again. You will be also able to resubmit your canceled orders if you would like to.

We ask for your patience until the process is completed.

So we have to wait…

4 Likes

Today I got the following message:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 17.08.34

seems they changed the rules from 1st of May? Is it possible?

As far as I know VT has not KID. I wrote the support, lets see what they say.

any of you with the same issue or a solution? What would be the backup plan?

1 Like

I have a feeling the price of VT is going to jump up the moment they fix this.

3 Likes