Silver investment

Good day gentlemen

I bought some silver in a metal konto many years ago and am still waiting for it to go to $50 an ounce. Am I wasting my time waiting for that magic moment and shall I sell and invest in something else rather? Any thoughts on that.

I would consider investing in precious metals as a defensive play, with silver being the more volatile, less conservative one. Expectations of oversized returns isn’t what would drive my decision of buying commodities.

If the thesis you had when you bought is still valid, I would keep my investment. Otherwise, I would take some time to come up and consolidate my new thesis in a way that I would expect to hold long term, then do what comes out of that.

If you don’t need the money, you can keep it as an insurance if things go really bad.
I will sell it if society collapse, capitalism model for main countries need to be reformed or if usd is massively dévaluantes with skyrocket thing inflation .

In my view, valuation of precious metals is very complex (if not impossible). I have never come across a good model to value these things. It is completely driven by what people / nations think at some point of time.

It’s true for Gold, Silver etc.

It seems you bought it because you thought it would go up in value. But what was that assumption based on? Something specific ?

2 Likes

If society collapses, I don‘t expect anyone will need the milion tons of silver everyone keeps around together. You can‘t eat silver.

2 Likes

Unless the collapse is due to the rise of werewolves, vampires and witches and we have a war between humans and the supernatural harbingers of the apocalypse. In that scenario, your stash of silver is going to rocket in value!

6 Likes

You could even leverage it to negociate being turned into a werewolf or a vampire if they happen to be winning but for that, you’d need it to be physical silver stored in an accessible place and not rights on a financial product.

2 Likes

It made me chuckle picturing the scene of a man waving a bearer bond for silver at a vampire who recoils in disgust.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Wolverine. I don’t need the money right now so I guess I will wait until the day arrives and then make a new plan from there.

I would consider the need for immediate money on a different level. Short term needs warrant low volatility, liquid assets, which could be cash in a savings account or a money market (or the closest rung of a bonds/notes ladder).

I would not personally buy silver, though I might consider gold so my view of the financial properties of precious metals may not match yours. I would consider precious metals as a volatile asset with no productive value but a low correlation asset with stocks, bonds and fiat money. I would expect its value to react positively in many situations where stocks would crash (not all, it did react negatively to the Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy) and where fiat money would loose value, while being wholly able to provide negative returns in times where all would seem to be going well.

As such, I’d mainly take it as a way to somewhat tame volatility in a portfolio constituted mostly from stocks and bonds, by taking a small amount of it.

The idea you had about your investment when you bought silver may be akin to that, or you may have expected direct profits from the asset by itself, or a stable store of value (which it isn’t). What I would want to do currently is reassess whether the idea I had of my investment matches what I am getting out of it and if it still matches my needs.

As a rough illustration of the behavior of precious metals in recent times, here are how they, US stocks and US bonds (mostly to be considered as an intermediate term bond fund) have behaved since 1987 (in inflation adjusted USD). It’s not a perfect illustration but respective behaviors should match enough what you would have gotten in CHF with global stocks and CHF denominated or hedged bonds for comparison purposes:

Here’s the link to play with it: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-asset-class-allocation?s=y&sl=1IOLSN4wSkIU17SqcGODJ4

Hi it is scary what growth I could have had if the money was in stocks instead of silver. I will do some reassessment of investment. Thanks for the advice. Now the question is who to invest with. A lot of thinking and planning ahead.

Looking at that graph, “Precious Metals” could just as well reach the US Stock market again over the next decade. The 2000s had some very aggressive growth, stronger than US Stocks in the 2010s (and those are considered strong already).

On the other hand I am not sure what this “Precious Metals” is. If you use their Portfolio Backtesting (using real funds) it chooses GDX for the “Precious Metals” asset class. GDX is “VanEck Gold Miners ETF”. That isn’t commodities but producers.

1 Like

You are right, I didn’t do enough due dilligence on this one.

Portfoliovisualizer used “Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund” until 2017, then the “VanEck Gold Miners ETF”. It seems that the Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund was actively managed and has been all over the place: Gold and Precious Metals - Bogleheads.org

It seems Portfoliovisualizer is making some pretty bold assumptions/adaptations when choosing the underlyings for their asset class allocation tool.

Here are silver futures (blue) vs the S&P500 (total returns - red) since August 2000 (I haven’t found an easy way to show both and go further back):

The same since 2010:

The starting point makes a big difference. US stocks have skyrocketed in the last 15 years.

What’s important to consider for me is the behavior of the assets rather than just global performance. I’d consider precious metals a good diversifier but wouldn’t make them an investment in and of themselves (that’s me, your mileage may vary).