Should I buy TSLA shares?

Me neither and i can only applaud his willingness to do so.
I am very curious to see how this play turns out nevertheless.

1 Like

@San_Francisco did you do your homework?

1 Like

Btw Gary sold his position because he does not agree with the BTC assets but would never short.

1 Like

Probably the safest bet currently about Tesla is not to bet anything, neither long nor short.

1 Like

Not to bet is always the safest “bet”, regardless of Tesla. :grin:

1 Like

Would be nice to have a RemindMe! bot in this forum :slight_smile:

I remember when someone on this forum suggested us to register to a site that gave some bitcoin to read stuff here and there… I think I should have 0.1x bitcoin there if it still exists…

Better not to remember :smiley:

1 Like
  1. I don’t drive
  2. Earnings are meaningless, since the stock price is practically decoupled from earnings anyway
  3. That’s the point: How do I ask 10 TSLA owners, if I don’t even know one? Nobody I know does.
    Hardly a surprise, given that Tesla is a small car manufacturer that doesn’t sell very many cars.

Agreed.

2 Likes

Right. But we are always betting something (i.e. doing some assumption about the future) :slight_smile: .

Another Thunderf00t video:

An interesting watch, yet I see some loopholes in his logic.

• for commercial flights by a rocket to succeed, they would need to send that rocket flying 10x per day. Thunderfoot goes on to induce that the demand for long haul flights would have to grow 10 times. Why? SpaceX can just take customers from existing airlines. Still, I just can’t imagine that we will see commercial earth-to-earth travel by a rocket.
  • he shows a chart where launch costs of SpaceX did not decrease over the years and claims that US govt overpays by a lot when ordering SpaceX deliveries. Why? Why would US govt overpay? Maybe cause the only alternative would be to pay Russians.

All in all, I am very skeptical of Hyperloop, Starship intercontinental flights and Boring tunnels. I am however quite excited about Starlink Internet. It actually looks legit, but let’s see how it performs when people start using it.

Why? I’d certainly be a customer because the 18h+ trip to Mexico to visit my wifes family is certainly a pain in the butt. I’d be willing to pay up to 2.5k per person for a round trip (vs. ~900 CHF on todays Economy class).

Me too, but just think that you need to accelerate a rocket to 10 km/s and the stop it, all within 30-40 minutes. The launch will cause huge noise and disturbance in the atmosphere. I guess if at all possible, the launchpad sites would be limited to sea/ocean coast. Then there’s the safety issue. And somehow all this should cost just a few thousand $?

Don’t tell them about your stacks

1 Like

Us common apes can’t afford not to.

Recalling my physics lessons, that doesn’t make much of a market for earthbound space trips then
…or spacebound earth trips? Which one is it?

First of all I must admit I have not done any research and I don’t have any knowledge about the topic.

But I do have a friend who has done a lot of it.
He thinks Starlink is a terrible idea : it will fill the space with (even more) satellites and will interfere with space observation, to the point that will make us blind to detect any asteroid with Earth collision route.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10/starlink-already-threatens-optical-astronomy-now-radio-astronomers-are-worried

I guess there could be a solution, since Elon seems to be very keen on space colonization (based on his last podcast with Rogan)

We shall see how it goes. Indeed it’s hard to tell anything if you’re not an expert. Intuition tells me that a few thousand boxes flying scattered around the Earth is nothing. Moreover, we should place our telescopes in space if we want the least obstructed measurement.

Regarding space garbage, the damage has already been done. There are countless shards flying around in the orbit. They are potential threats to rocket launches.

Btw I wonder if authoritarian regimes like North Korea or China will try to obstruct access to Starlink satellites. Right now you just need a device and boom, you can bypass any national firewall.

1 Like

I think in Russia is already illegal.

Quick google result:

Ok now i get this tweet

That’s trivial. How are you going to chase illegal users in such huge countries? Just smuggle the device and place it out of sight.

Starlink may agree to funnel all traffic over Russia, China through their firewalls, which I hope they don’t do. China could retaliate by becoming hostile towards Tesla (not the same company but it would work). But what I’m really wondering is if China or Russia could shoot off Starlink satellites or obstruct the communication by jamming the signal?

And then there’s another question: if we assume that the orbit is legally off limits and it’s economically unviable to keep shooting Starlink satellites off, then where should Starlink be based in order to guarantee the highest independence of their Internet? USA has a strong army, but it also has NSA & CIA, which would gladly have backdoors into Starlink infrastructure.

So if Starlink wants to be free, unrestricted and neutral, where can they go? Switzerland? :sweat_smile: I guess not, because I’m sure the Swiss wouldn’t like to make China angry. It would have to be a country that would not be afraid of tarnishing their relations with China or US.

1 Like