Share your salary progression

Quite a story! It’s somehow reassuring to know IT can pay so well here. At the same time it’s depressing because that is so far from the median. :grinning:

I also noticed your CrossOver experience. I was approached by them a couple of times. In my case it was ”only” a 400k position. I even talked to one of their sourcers once and it was the weirdest non-interview ever. She basically read from a script like a telemarketer. The whole thing stopped when I asked to talk with a hiring manager. I saw that same role posted under one or two different company names and countries. One of their aliases is DevFactory.

3 Likes

Net or gross? :slight_smile:

(funnily my net salary went down because they didn’t gross up the free food during covid)

1 Like

Got the salary certificate today. 2020 net salary was 237k CHF

2 Likes

still waiting for mine, they always send it late March…

Gross salary stated in the contract
Background: Bachelor in IT with specialization in Network and Security

2018 74K first job as a CyberSecurity Analyst
2019 95K changed company still as a CyberSecurity Analyst
2020 95K no augmentation for the first year at this company. However, the salary certificate states 101K with all included

Hoping for a 5% raise this year to reach the 100K gross salary and I’m getting an abroad mission which might add 10K :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Depressing thread.
I guess I should have tried getting a master.

I wonder if it’s normal that salaries get flat in IT.

1 Like

From my University all IT BSc ended up with 85k in their first year after studying and all MSc with 95k. The increases in regular companies are really rather flat/slow. What I’ve heard from consulting was a 5k CHF/year retaining increase every year because consultants might get poached or go freelancing.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s normal. Did you try asking for a raise? I got a >10% raise in the fall just because I told them: “look, the market has gone up and I think my salary is below what you would need to pay a new employee with may same experience/skills”

you can always also change employer, I know it’s a pain, but depending on the gain it might be worth it

2 Likes

I’m kind of stuck in a niche and tried asking for a rise with no luck.
Maybe I should start consulting, since i’m not the best programmer anymore and I’m not enough esperienced as manager. I am very picky (see IB’s posts eheh) so I think that I should be a good Technical PM or whatever it’s called.
Consulting sounds also fun. If only I had the network for that.

1 Like

I faced the same issue in my job history. I also work in a niche market in the finance industry IT where consultants get around 1500 chf a day while senior internals at the banks get paid around 140k per year. I quickly realized that the skill of consultants was crap compared to what I brought to the table, I kept asking for raises but nothing significant ever came. Being tired of moving from one bank to the other to get a higher salary I decided to become a freelancer. There’s no shortage of work and the irony is that I now work as an external at one of my former employers who refused to increase me, now they pay me double what I asked for 3 years ago. It’s worth noting that anytime I resigned from my jobs I was always offered 10 to 20% increase on the spot to stay while there was no budget for salary increase before my resignation ^^. At the end those companies all follow a policy of cost saving and do not offer any perspective to their employees, if you have been with a flat salary since 9 years I guess it’s time to look for something else.

12 Likes

I work in a sort-of family owned business with superfriendly people (even the bosses) so it’s like say goodbye to a family tbh. It’s super hard to resign. …also there isn’t a “consultant job” wating for me, so it’s also risky.

Just to be clear, that advantage of having a super easy work environment weigh it’s gold as well. High salaries are nice, but if you are always fighting with your surroundings, it’s beeeh

13 Likes

amen to that.

I am, though, a perfectionist and I feel I can’t really use my know-how sometimes. But I digress.

Idea from a post I read around here:
You could send spontaneous applications to become an external consultant to consulting companies wiring in your field and hence use the network you will build up by working for their client as an external to later go freelance.
It would even let you time to test it to see if that works or for you

2 Likes

I can second what you wrote. I tried to somehow rationalize it but it’s hard. I guess many people like to have a fixed salary and form a bond with their employer, which employers can exploit. I guess at many companies, if you provide the bare minimum, you won’t get fired, and you should only ever work your ass off if you want to get to manager, head of dept, etc.

One problem I have is that I’m comfortable being an external at one company since over 5 years, but they also don’t want to hear about raising my rate. So I would also have to leave them entirely and negotiate for real after some has passed.

3 Likes

I work in a so specific field that I can easily spot when a company is building a team to enter in our field. Bad idea.

1 Like

My salary is not taxable. Decrease last year is due to the decrease in dividends and subsidies for children.

2 Likes

I thought that every income (salary, dividend, pension, etc ) is taxable. Please tell us why it is not taxable in your case?

For example if you work for the UN

2 Likes

I am an international civil servant. Our salaries are not taxed. The reason is that other countries fund these organizations and don’t want to see 25-40 % of it go back directly to the Swiss authorities.

9 Likes