Share your salary progression

so noone got promoted or received a salary bump this last month? damn summer :smiley:

I’m eyeing a promotion and a “semi-90%” allocation instead of 80%, while keeping 1 day off work. We’ll see if it’ll work out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll change jobs in September and will bump my base from 170k to 250k…

8 Likes

Security Engineering Lead, yeah it does feel like winning the lottery, we’ll see how it goes.

6 Likes

wow I want that role too :slight_smile: Good luck!

I guess that’s not one but 2 grades above your previous role? I wonder how you negotiate salary in such cases? Did you just say a Nice Huge Number and they accidentally said “OK fine”?

4 Likes

I’m glad to see some low earners in this forum aswell, I was afraid Mustachianism might become a tad elitist :grin:

1 Like

not that uncommon in security if you’re worth your salt… also recently went from 125k to 210k base

4 Likes

They lured me with nice huge number and I was “Ok, sounds fair”. But it does come with huge increase in responsibility and scope of work.

3 Likes

Work experience for sure, bachelors degree, no certifications

3 Likes

Sounds like big responsibilities and need for both proactivity and reactivity. Congrats for taking on this challenge, the pay is probably not overdone.

3 Likes

Do you also get equity or a significant performance related component to your overall comp? (Either way, awesome! 250k is huge)

2 Likes

Yes there’s some equity component too that could result in a significant (aka FU money aka FAT FIRE) amount.

2 Likes

@MrCheese has evolved from soft to hard cheese!
Congratulations on this new position! I don’t know the specific requirements for this type of position, but I can imagine that the challenges will be numerous but oh so interesting!

I myself passed the 6 digit mark following a change of company, field of activity and function. Nothing extraordinary compared to other people here, but it’s always nice to pass a new milestone in the early thirties!

I’m seriously thinking about going back to “long” studies (MAS/MBA type), but when I see that with a bachelor it is possible to reach a level like @MrCheese, it puts things in perspective in terms of return on investment (effort/penibility/cost/medium-long term return).

In any case, the studies would be more to feed my curiosity and my personal development than a necessity in my work. However, as the end-of-study work is specifically intended to bring added value to the company, I can well hope that the company will finance part of the studies (or be willing to make time available to follow the studies).

Many questions, few answers. More in the next episode.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback! I realize that my previous post left room for interpretation…

I have now changed my job because the field I was in before was completely closed to possibilities of evolution. The role I was in was far too specific and extremely tied to the company’s field of activity. In this sense, my current job change has opened up new personal and professional perspectives which have been accompanied by a revision of my salary (I consider that my previous position was between 10-15% below what the market offers; this is evidenced by the different salary proposals received from different employers during my search for a new job).

I did not choose the highest paying job. I chose the one that is in line with my (actuals) values and convictions, that offers me the necessary autonomy in the organization of my time and my work, but also that opens new perspectives for professional evolution.

Earning a little more is not a bad thing if you take your criteria into account and if you know how to listen to yourself. As I said before, I prefer my personal development to well-filled pockets. But it is obvious that if I were to continue to study, I could hope to gain in responsibility and thus see an increase, either with my current employer or elsewhere in due course.

I think it has to do with ambition, but also the will to grow professionally and personally.

1 Like

I’d say these jobs have nothing to do with stripping. A stripper does their hours, goes back to their family and can live their life outside of their job if they practice it not too close to home.

Jobs with heavy responsibilities follow you in the evening, require a steel clad discipline not to keep you awake at night and can affect your family life. The salary allows you to take dispositions to ease your everyday life (hire help to maintain your house/your exteriors, take care of your children and such other things) but it really requires a different mindset, a very good chunk of experience to handle stress and disruptions and repeated discipline, every. single. day.

So, a potential outcome for people practicing these kinds of jobs is increased personal expenses, less quality time with family, less time for themselves and increased health hazards coming from stress. If you manage to still lead a balanced life on the side, then your skillset really is worth that much.

5 Likes

I agree. People tend to forget that high salaries are not worth giving up your most precious assets: time and health. Money’s nothing more than a means to an end. The goal (to me at least) is living a fulfilling life. You can be very unhappy for a very long time in a stressful, toxic and meaningless high salary job. Is it worth losing years of your limited lifetime to achieve FI a little earlier? I think not. You can get into an accident or diagnosed cancer in a year from now, so better enjoy now than tomorrow. I personally prefer working part time in a meaningful, easy-going job now, even if it takes me longer to achieve FI. YOLO, i guess :grin:

3 Likes

There again, it is nothing comparable to what I expect @MrCheese’s job to likely involve (I could be wrong on that, though, I’m mainly projecting personal experience, here).

“Security” means dealing with threats, threats can come anytime, from anywhere, in any shape. New ways to threaten what you are hired to protect don’t stop to evolve because you are on holiday on a beach and preserving peace of mind requires real organizing skills, top notch leadership skills with an ability to delegate, train and trust your team and an ability to log off even when/if bad news reach you when you’re not on “available for work time”.

I wish you the opportunity to try, we need people willing to give their earnest for important jobs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty cool, so I guess this means it is some kind of startup where success (and therefore a payout from the equity) is not guaranteed?

I’m really impressed! And also surprised, as I thought startups tended not to offer such large base salaries. (But maybe this is because I’m near the beginning of my career, and so don’t know what more senior people can command in such companies.)

1 Like

I wish there was a tool which you throw in the money you earn, time you spend, stress you get and satisfaction you feel and then it gives you if it worth. A million dollar idea for your next startup?

5 Likes

Love the idea :grin:

1 Like

@CHRad You are still too young and unwise to judge, be patient and you will figure it out.
Until then - go ahead and hustle hard - the world needs that energy (just be wary of burning out).

“Worthiness” is very differently defined for different people (as we can see across many threads around here), so I don’t see how you could define such a metric “universally”. :slight_smile:

1 Like