Security at Interactive Brokers

If IB talks about a vector attack, I guess they mean your mobile phone was hacked. To be honest, this would not really be IBs responsibility. If your phone was hacked, the hackers could have gained access to other banking apps and of course your email.

All apps are good using for 5 years.

Ib app had vulnerability and it wqs attached easily

I have 2 questions:

1. If it were so easy to hack the app, why didn’t the hacker do this for 1000s of accounts?
  2. If it is not so easy, why did they target you? A few thousands doesn’t seem to be a lucrative target for a complicated attack.
4 Likes

Sorry to hear @naman.1 apparently fell victim to a fraud, but Occam’s razor still holds: this was most likely simple fraud.

1 Like

If you can, please provide us with more information. See all the questions asked. It would be helpful to understand how you were attacked, so the members of the forum can protect themselves. Otherwise, I have to assume, that you played a big part in this, i.e. you were phished or were very sloppy.

Ibkr employee told multiple accounts from usa and europe are impacted and they are helping to retrive funds.

Some have 6 figures diverted to diffrent accounts.

Now to improve security they are sending some device to act extra laywr. But now I am have to fight ro get my funds back for this fraud happening.

Let me add to my own reply because I apparently like arguing with strangers on the Internet:

• IBKR has 2.56 million customers
  • IBKR is custodian for $426 billion in assets
  • IBKR explicitly shields itself from indemnifying customers that suffer losses due to fraud (as any business would and should do) in their terms and conditions.
  • we have only claims by @naman.1 (with no real details and no sources for further claims of others who apparently also have suffered from the same attack).

Apologies, again sorry about any losses that might have occured, but this looks like a fraud duck, it walks like a fraud duck, and it quacks like a fraud duck.

I still prefer my single blade safety razor while we’re discussing quadruple blade titanium grade razors in this thread for someone who unfortunately seems to have cut themselves while shaving.

Sources:

4 Likes

Well making an agreement that ibkr will not pay in case of fraud is illogical.

If fraud has happend to multiple accounts which means flaw on security of portal.

Company will never agree or this fraud as they have safe guarded themselves in the agreements.

The fraud was noticgird in same day when payment was in transit . Ibkr tool action after 4 days after multiple follow ups.

Hacker would never keep money in the account so long thatas why they got only 10 euros redemmed.

Also how money gets transferred to different account names when its written specifically u can deposit and withdrawal from same account name holder. Money wqs transferred overseas in milli seconds at night

Many flaws came up in this fraud.

Yeah, sure, keep digging that hole.

I’ll see myself out of this thread in the mean time.

Good night and good luck to you!

1 Like

That doesn’t need to be the case, if e.g. they hack your phone it’s absolutely not IBKR’s fault in any way, how could they safeguard against this?

Yes sure, as we all know bank transfer over night are totally normal and they happen in milliseconds
 sorry but that sounds totally unrealistic.

So you are telling us IBKR sent money to an account, which was not under your name? Hard to believe as well.

Well when you have to deposit funds it take 7 days actually to reflect for trading.

Why now ibkr has changed policy it will take now more time to add new bank accounts to withdraw funds ?

Why the payment was not stopped wehn customer informed the fraud in 6 hours the payment wqs in process biggest question

Yes european bank account not under my name.

This is money laundering complete when money gets transfreed to other person account on Ibkr

Its not my phone. Why so many cutomers from usa and Europe also faced the same situation on funds diversion .

The attack which happend on accounts innr didnt had priper seciritu measures.

Had it been mine account only then it was different scenario.

I hope I’m not off-topic with this question, but how come the original post (see screenshot on 1st message in this thread) is written in a decent English, while all the @naman.1 messages on this thread are in broken English ?

Not asking this to shame someone on their language skills, but many people here asked precise and interesting questions that have not been answered in detail or sometimes at all. It seems to me that there is a huge communication gap which doesn’t really help assessing the situation. It’s a pitty, because most people here are using IBKR and would be genuinely interested to know whether they have to be worried at the platform’s security, or if (which seems the most likely right now) a quick refresh on phishing is enough.

By the way regarding the statement that many other customers are impacted, given that IBKR has 2.56M customers, I expect that at any point in time, there exists customers that have a story to tell about losing some of their money, most of the time of course due to a mistake on their end.

7 Likes

I’m also very surprised that you can open an account at Lloyd bank with stolen details.
KYC is very high in uk. Most of the time they will delegate the identification of the customer by a third party with face camera call.

Zero sense in naman.1’s posts, I am treating it as a pure defam troll.

7 Likes

Dude, this just confirms that people got phished with a pretty targeted approach as far as I’ve read the posts. I would guess that opening a bank account with stolen identity is only possible when

• They had insiders opening these accounts at the bank
  • The targeted persons entered all their personal information on another phishing site and the attackers could then with these correct personal information open the bank accounts

If it would have just been a security flaw in their software they would have fixed it and be done with it. Them having to send out physical devices so the last person living under a rock doesn’t get phished is not IBs problem.

5 Likes

It’s not exactly my business, but I suggest not to flag @naman.1 's posts. If someone wants to spread wrong information about IB, I would rather see it discussed and rebutted then hidden.

1 Like

Well hiding my post wont help as many cistomers are victim of this attack.

I have recordings too which will be taken to the court

Good luck with that :slight_smile: