Saving time and space with new work shirts

Hi all,

I think the “minimalism” section of this blog deserves more attention so I will start with something that saves me considerable amount of time, stress, and space in my day-to-day life.

I threw away all my shirts and bought 5 no-iron white shirts. I wash them on Sunday nights and they are ready to be worn on Monday morning. I take them straight from the drying rack. No hassle.

In brief this process:

• Frees my mind because I do not have to think of the shirt I will wear
  • Saves space because I significantly reduced the number of shirts I own
  • Saves time because I do not need to iron the shirts anymore
  • Saves time because I can I wash them all without having to separate whites and colors

Do not hesitate to share your minimalist techniques.

Best regards,

Vincent

6 Likes

What if you have several colored shirt? You don’t have to separate them in white/colors.
:slight_smile:

Why not buy 10 shirts? You’ll save more time.

ahah good timing, my 5 blue shirts are arriving next week!

Hi @mmm where did you buy them if you don’t mind me asking. My wife and I do a very similar approach. However, my shirts are not as Iron Free as I’d like them to be…

2 Likes

I bought one “non iron” traveller shirt to try. It does not really look nice without ironing. It does not feel nice when wearing it, but it was more expensive. I don’t know, maybe I bought the wrong one. I feel much more comfortable with stretch shirts, but they’re usually hard to iron.

Basically, if you have 10 shirts to iron every two weeks, you can give it to your putzfrau. She should be able to do it in one hour. That means spending 50-60 CHF per month on ironing, 3 CHF per shirt.

I have pretty much the same approach,
4 pairs of pants
10 shirts that I wash bi-weekly
I always go left to right in the wardrobe so I get a mix of colours and patterns
2 ties (light and dark) only when needed for business

1 Like

@Bojack @miriade It may sound extreme but Charles Tyrwhitt shirts changed my work life. The shirts are cheap, high quality (I mean I threw away my Hugo Boss shirts…) and I can wear them straight out of the drying rack. I only have good things to say about this brand.

7 Likes

tip saved. Will check this the next time i purchase shirts.
Any tips for removing stains under the armpits?

@alex_adc I bought 10 x white AIRism short sleave undershirt .
You can’t feel it and no one see them. It will protect your shirts against smelly sweat.

I also bought 5x LuluLemon ABC stretchable pants. It is a bit pricy but they are really good quality,
durable and look professional if you bike to the office. It saves me 15 minutes changing my shirt/leggings every morning. You can usually find them on discount during Spring. Who wants to buy a pant in summer ?

5 Likes

Awesome! Do you just buy them from this website and have them shipped to you? No issues with customs?

It’s a mix of buying 1 in the US while I discovered the brand then ordered 4 of them online on the French website last June delivered to a friend address living in France. I returned only 1 from my selection.
They had a free hem service before covid but never brought it back… I pay 20 to have the hem done on 2 of them but definitely worth it.

I will need to renew part of my wardrobe in the near future but I do not want to go shopping in person during COVID. I would really love to find a balance between price and quality for my clothes. Too often in the past I bought cheap low quality items that had to be repleaced rather quickly because they tore, lost their shape or shrinked too badly.

I’m looking for a timeless minimalist style (plain white/black t-shirts, hoodies). Do you know some good ressources (website, blog, youtube channels) that would allow me to do some research to increase my chances of finding what I’m looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Im6717VTw

I found this small youtube channel that focuses on minimalistic clothing and has, in my opinion, very good content. He does item reviews and gives general wardrobe advices.

Let me know if any of you found other good ressources.

I gave Charles Tyrwhitt a try. I bought 4 shirts from them. They are huge! I bought the extreme slim fit and measured the size very well. I received them and tried on, my first thought was, I must have given some wrong measurements… so I measured myself again, checked it and all was right. I decided anyhow to take advantage of their return policy and sent it back ordering immediately a smaller size.

The whole thing was a nightmare. They did not accept exchanges from Switzerland. I had to sent back and get a refund. To send back I had to pay UK duties, no refundable by Charles Tyrwhitt… I placed an order again and had to pay import duties again on the new order. The shirts were a bag again, very large an extremely long. Maybe they want to optimize the size… very well but I ended up with 4 useless shirts I can use if I want to look like a 17th century character.

3 Likes

I use Charles Tyrwhitt shirts for approx 7 years. The are perfect for me. Good quality (still use my first bought shirt), good price (they have every now and then good sales deals) and perfect size.

I use the extra slim line. The shirts are this long cause they are made to tuck in. Standard shirts from premium brands aren‘t long enough wear them tucked in - as soon as I bend over or stretch up the shirts pops out of the pants.

As undershirts I tried also Airsim, but they smell cause of my sweat, they are synthetic. I made very good experience with Albert Kreuz brand. Quiet expensive but perfect quality and good slim fit sizes. Again, they shirts are very long, which is perfect for a good tucked-in fit all day long.

1 Like

Well I still have 1x 16 1/2 unopened brand new Charles Tyrwhitt I would love to sell, 45 CHF will do.

If anyone is interested please let me know: