Revolut: why is Maestro my only option?

Hi the Community,

Long time reader of the forum and I thank you all for the vast knowledge shared.

I’ve a question: I openend my Revolut account a few days ago, ordered a free physical card and didn’t think much about it till I saw that a Maestro was on the way. I choose Revolut because they advertised Visa as the physical card. I m ok with Mastercard too, but not with a Maestro.

I’ve never had the choice to request either a Visa, Mastercard or Maestro. It send automatically the Maestro. I then contacted the customer support via chat. They were unclear with their answers. They said the type of card was randomely chosen and that if the app didn’t let me choose I had no choice but to get a Maestro.

I m hesitating to order a new card that I d have to pay, but I m worry I won t have the choice for the card and will end up with 2 Maestros that are totally useless for me…

Any ideas on how to deal with it? If I cannot get the Master or Visa I ll close my account and be very disapointed.

Thank you for helping me.

That’s the second time, I’ve read about that experience…

Fwiw, it might still be ok, from what I’ve heard this type of maestro card usually works wherever MasterCard is accepted.

Maestro is definitely no good if you want to use Revolut online or at many places outside of Europe. It has some advantages, as some small stores (in CH, D, NL) will charge you extra if you pay with Visa/Mastercard or only accept Maestro.

I don’t know if you really had no option to choose between Maestro or Mastercard (this is what they are offering in Switzerland right no - no Visa for new customers. But the Mastercard is better anyway as it will work with GooglePay/ApplePay.) Or if there was some bad UI design where you could have swiped to change card type but you didn’t notice it.

Anyway if you order a card you can clearly see the logo and what kind of card it is. So it’s not possible that you order another Maestro and don’t notice it. So you can try to order another card. (Mastercard). I would also post this experience over at https://community.revolut.com.

Thank you for all these explanation.

I’ve finally decided to order a second card and this time I could choose between Maestro and Master! Finally… so I dont know if it was a bug or what? But I doubt I ve missed it the first time but not the second.

I don’t think I could choose the first card (2 months ago), it was a visa though.

On the other hand, I could (ca. 3 months ago; and chose Visa).
Weird, what could it depend on?
My basic guess is country of registration, but for most of us here that was CH, right?