Reka cash as easy 3-4% investment?

I guess AmEx won’t ever figure out what I bought at Coop.

FYI, I was not allowed to buy them with credit card at the coop in oerlikon.

Yeah, same story at the Coop by Zurich HB. But it’s probably just a matter of getting the right attendant.

Buying Reka from private individuals is really the way to go. Many employees and association members get Reka checks (or can) at a 15% or 20% discount, and will happily resell at a 10% discount to make a profit. You also get dealers which buy at 10% discount and resell at 5%. The benefit of dealers is that they always have a good supply. I found a private person who regularly has surplus Reka checks and sells them to me with a 10%-20% discount. You can “deposit” Reka checks into your Reka card account by mail, if you use a Reka card. I save around 300 francs per year like that, which makes a difference for me. For those unfamiliar with Reka, take a look at this QNA: https://www.moneyland.ch/en/reka-money-switzerland-faq

So you buy the reka checks from another person, send them in an envelope to reka & it gets credited on your card?
What do you buy with reka, apart from petrol & train tickets? I have the problem that i can get 1300 p.a. but have difficulty to use it all.

I have a big family, so just gas and public transport are pretty big expenses. But I also use them for restaurants, hotels, etc.

1 Like

Here you can find a some points where reka is accepted

I use Reka to buy fuel. I pay with my Reka card which is super comfortable, it’s no different than a credit or debit card.

From what I see, Coop and Manor give you only paper Reka checks, they don’t let you charge your Reka card. If I want to load my checks onto my card, I must send them as a registered letter to Reka, but they recommend not to send more than 500 chf per dispatch (klick).

The 3-4% discount would actually go up in smoke like that.

Does anybody know of an easy and cheap way to get digital Reka checks?

1 Like

Directly in RekaNet, I see the option to charge my RekaCard via E-Banking with a 2% discount:

grafik

There doesn’t seem to be a limit, though? (I haven’t tried it)

3 Likes

Thank you. I was not aware of this option.

But to be honest, is this the effort really worth?

I mean I am asking myself this question quite often when it comes to such “micro benefits”. Another example are the Cummulus Points at Migros, not the regular 1 Point for 1 CHF, I mean the 3x Coupon - is it then really worth checking the kitchen cabinets and other places to figure out what things you can buy? In the end, you get for a shopping of 100 CHF just 3 CHF back. In respect to the effort you had before - is it really worth?

At my new company I have the opportunity to get coupons for Coop with a discount of 7%. After an amount I get free from my company, I have the possibility to buy more of these coupons, but have to use my credit card where they charge you 2%, meaning in the end you still get 5% discount unlimited. Actually I haven’t figured out if I should choose this path to save money, because did not calculat all the costs yet (also respecting that I am a “Migros-Kind”.

So to come back to my question in the beginng: If you use the Reka Checks regularly and if it is so convenient as regular money (for me it totally is, buying SBB tickets on the phone is as easy as with an credit card), the effort is very low and probably really a thing to do.

How do you see this 1 to 5% discounts? Worthy or too much effort to think about?

I get Reka money from my employer and always pay with my Reka card at the fuel station. After half a year I’ve spent all my Reka money. So for me, charging my Reka card electronically is super convenient, and if I get some discount, all the better.

But I agree with you. And I always try to ask myself if the efforts are really worth it. Many people that I know personally don’t really seem to value their own time. The classic example being the dude who drives 30km to top up his car and save 0.03 chf on a liter of fuel.

I agree that chasing coupons or loyalty points is of minimal benefit, largely because coupons tend to encourage purchases which you would not otherwise make and is time consuming. In my case, Reka money requires minimal effort for direct savings on necessary spending (petrol, public transportation), so it’s something quite different. But obviously you have to balance savings efforts with the cost of your time. I’m not an exceptionally big earner, so for me anything that saves me at least 200 francs per year is worth some amount of effort. That threshold would likely be higher for bigger earners.

I am getting a 400 CHF Reka top-up topped up to 500 CHF by my employer each year. That’s worth my (relatively) short amount of time to handle things.

Does anybody know whether the 4% discount at Manor is still a thing for myone card holders?

Are there any new tricks with reka in 2022 by any chance?

1 Like

According to reka.ch, the Reka Rail are no longer available at Manor from this year.

However, you can still get ‘normal’ Reka-Pay (which can also be used for public transport) at Coop with a 3% discount.

2 Likes

And if you pay with Coop credit card, you can buy them on credit (but you get no coop superpoints).

That’s precisely what I do. :slight_smile:

However, unless you get a free Reka card from your employer, consider this: A “normal” Reka card costs 12.- per year, but a Coop Reka card costs only 6.- per year.

1 Like