Recommendation for the most clear online broker's user interface

Hello Mustachians, this is my very first post. I’ve been bing reading MP’s blog in the last few weeks and it’s pretty clear that if you have >100k to invest, Interactive Broker is a no-brainer.

Though, I’m pretty sensitive to well designed and clear user interfaces (I’m a UX designer by profession), especially when it comes to something so important as your investments. I’d like to have the feeling that I’m understanding what’s going on in a digital platform that I plan to consult on a regular basis.

With that being said, I can’t really stand IB interface. I feel pretty intimidated (and honestly even a bit stupid) while using the demo account. After spending 45min browsing around the platform, I had little to no idea where to begin to buy an ETF. For my own peace of mind, I’m okay with paying a bit more but being able to use a clearer, more straight forward user interface. This might sound a bit silly for experienced IB users like many of you, but this is quite a big deal for me.

The best platform in terms of UI that I’ve tried so far is Trading212. They have very low fees (even lower that IB in some cases) and I also love their concept of Pies (Aerograms) as it helps a lot with rebalancing. The problem is that their ETF selection is pretty limited.

Second in the list is Degiro. I’ve open an account to test the interface and I need to say it’s quite well designed. Though, we all know that it can be quickly become expensive if you have a large amount to invest. I’m planning to invest ~150K in one shot and then ~5K each month.

Do you have any recommendation about other trustworthy, relatively cheap, digital brokers with an intuitive interface? Perhaps some Swiss-based ones?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Did you try the mobile platform?

No, not really. I’m a honestly a bit old school on this and prefer the desktop experience. Do you recommend the mobile IB experience over the desktop one?

Yes, I’d recommend the mobile interface for non experts. Currency conversion is straightforward, as are buy/sell.

The web or desktop versions are targeting more expert users.

1 Like

Web portal (default Login > Portal login) as well, next to the mobile app, is quite “friendly”.
Well, at least compared to the desktop terminal friendliness, that is.
There’s even a dark theme, trying to stay in line with the trends. :grin:

1 Like