[Purchase kitchen appliances in EU] 220-240v vs 380-400v

Hi all,

We’re evaluating the option to buy some kitchen appliances (fridge, dishwash, backhofen kockfeld) in Italy, where the prices are almost half of the ones here in CH.
I understood that for the oven and hob, in switzerland the standard is 380-400v

Our apartment has 25 A restriction, meaning that an hob of 220-240v and 7.2KW, results into 31A, where the appliance with 380-400v and 7.6.KW, results in 11 A.

So my quesiton here: is it possible to install the “italian-purchased” appliance to the 400v? Does it require adjustments on the electric plan or the electrician can perform that without big work?

Thanks a lot
Cappuccio

Hi.

kitchen devices could be 230 or 400 in Switzerland. I suggest that you follow the following rules:

• fridge 230V (this device has generally a low consumption)
  • dishwasher 230V (same as above)
  • oven 400V (high consumption)
  • hob 400V (high consumption)

If you buy devices in 230V, the connection MUST be between one phase and the neutral cable
(as you have 400V between phases and 230V between one phase and the neutral).

Be sure that warranty applies in Switzerland… sometimes it’s not the case :thinking:

Hope it helps.
πR

3 Likes

I just bought a kitchen in germany. Oven and steamer are on 230v @ 3.5kW

Hob (induction) with exhaust 7.2kW/ 3x16A.

When working with 230V it is important to use a separate line for oven and steamer.

Be aware of the different sizes (60cmEU Standard vs 55cm CH)

1 Like

Apparently the 55 Swiss standard is disappearing though?

I think so, yes.

Something to read about the swiss norm:

Hi 314rch, thanks for you feedback. Warranty, I am aware of potential limitation/restriction. But I wonder if it’s possible to get this appliance installed. The electrician (the one provided by the Architects of the new building), says that the specific of our selected hob are too high and we cannot install it as is will absorve 31A (where he explained our apartment has a limit of 25A) :frowning:

These are the specifics: https://www.elica.com/IT-en/hobs/extractor/nikolatesla-one

I dont understand if they “do not know” how to install it, or “do not want” to install it, or if effectively not possible to install it.

This is a new apartment, therefore if an adjustment on the electro plan is required, I guess should not be a problem for them…

1 Like

Hi newhere, thanks for sharing your experience. We will buy the entire kitchen in italy, therefore I guess the sizes should not matter in my case - except if we need to buy CH appliances, which would fit generously. In that case (I hope not), when selecting the appliance I need to pay attention and select the 60cm one, correct?

About the fact you installed a 230V. So that’s possible? What the eleectrician has to do for having this separate line? I’m struggling to understand why my elecrtician does not provide me a solution, but rather ask me to select a 400v :frowning:

Hey. If your devices are too specific (too high requirements as the maximum current) to fit in your installation, I suggest to find another references that match better in your apartment.

My point of view is that if the input current is not enough, you can:

• option 1: find another devices,
  • option 2: increase the input current (can be possible or not depending on the introduction line characteristics and leads to a more expensive contract),
  • option 3: have a discussion with your electrician to see how you can “mix” the different devices ; the equalisation of the current on the 3 different phases could be a great outcome.

In Switzerland, always “use” your electrician as you have some controls (each 10 years) of the installation which could lead to penalties and expensive “back to conformity sessions”…

What is sure to me: the electrician will not go above the maximum authorised for the power of the devices as it will engage its responsability.

For the installation of a device, I believe that the manufacturer can give you a “point of contact” in Switzerland for the technical point of view.

πR

My electrician is a friend of mine, he didnt see an issue. When googeling I see lot of ovens with 230V.

He will install a new cable between our „Unterverteilung“ (fuse box) and the kitchen. So Steamer, oven and dishwasher will have a separate fuse each.

About the 60vm: you can also buy these in switzerland, eg nettoshop.ch. It sould be possible to install a 55cm oven in a EU kitchen, but it will look ugly most probably.

Don’t know how set you are on that, but out of personal experience I would never have an integrated extractor anymore.

Looks nice in the beginning, but just such a hassle to clean as soon as you do some more serious cooking (projections, cut stuff which are missing the pan while sliding it in from the board etc.). Same like a gas stove, just to many corners to clean. A full flat surface just makes your life so much easier. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW, I just bought an Ikea kitchen in CH and all appliances are 220V. I think the induction hob can be configured so that the maximum power does not exceed certain limits.

It depens always on the hob. Mine is also induction and also 7.2kW needed.

I think the 7.2kW are only needed when cooking with 4 pans with max power. When you do that your fuse will react.

It is also possible that your main fuse @25A will react if 16A needed for the hob and maybe stove+dishwasher or cleaner on…

Cant you finde a hob you like with 400V or one with less kW?

Anyway you should consider one fuse alone for the hub