Property buying expenses: one-off and recurring

Prospective buyer of an appartment for the purpose of staying in it. I am trying to get a good handle on all costs, one-off and recurring ones from buying and staying in an owned appartment. I am listing here some I could research and would appreciate corrections. Of course, these are only estimates but I try to err on the side of caution and round up.

One-off

• Advance payment: min 20% of home value
  • Mortgage deed: 0.3% of mortgage value
  • Notary costs: 1% of home value
  • Land registry: 1% of home value
  • Connection fees (electricity, gas, etc…): 2000 CHF
  • Building energy certificate: 700CHF

Recurring

• Mortgage payments
  • Building insurance costs: e.g., against fire, floodings etc. I know it depends on property value, but any indicative value? e.g., for a 1m CHF property
  • Renovation / maintenance costs: 1% of property value per year
  • Utilities cost (electricity, gas, oil): 400CHF / month (assuming an appartment ~120mˆ2)
  • Property tax: 0.3% of property value per year

Pretty sure I am missing stuff. Would appreciate input from recent experiences.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m also looking for a similar overview. Other questions:

• how is the property tax calculated? Is it the same in any canton?
  • What are the possible tax deductions? I know about renovations and mortgage payments. Are both of them fully deductible?
  • Eigenmietwert
  • Opportunity cost of capital tied up in the property
  • Opportunity cost of having to hold reserves to deal with property or having a more conservative portfolio (maybe holding reserve cash, less aggressive portfolio etc.)
1 Like

You mean the imputed rent? I understand the valuation methods differ widely. Same goes for notary cost or land register in @chrispappas12 question.

Where I live, imputed rent is 3.5% on the calculated value of land and building (1% above a threshold). Building value includes an annual 1% depreciation.
The calculated value is some 2/3 of the market value. For wealth tax, they can also use an estimated value. like 70% of the quoted purchase price.

On the income side, the mortgage is fully deductible, and renovations as long they don’t have a value-enhancing character. There’s also flat-rate option, which is 20%.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer!

I’ve tried to make a google sheet about the expected earnings coming from an home purchase compared to renting.

Here is it.

I didn’t consider one-off expenses like home purchases taxes and expenses.
Let me know if you think it is reasonable, you can play around by changing the numbers in the left columns.

I considered:

• home purchase
  • rent
  • deposit
  • morgage interest
  • renovations expenses
  • % of renovations that are tax deductibles
  • Imputed rent/rent (if you want to simulate a scenario where you rent the apartment you can set this to 100%)
  • inflation
  • home value increase
  • tax on capital gain
  • marginal tax rate

Not sure why you consider the inflation on your deposit an expense. I also find strange to consider the equity appreciation as revenue.

1 Like

Inflation to me is an expense because the real value of your deposit gets reduced. I only apply it to the deposit because that is the only money you are investing.

Wasn’t sure how to consider the equity appreciation, how would you do that?

Is that for your place, or something to rent out? What’s the capital gain tax about?
At least for a new-built, the maintenance won’t be 1%, inititally. On average it’s a propably a good estimate.

The result makes sense, either way. Once you also consider opportunity cost of your equity, the result can / will change more in favor of renting, depending on your parameters, but not by a life-changing amount.

Great topic, I’m trying to make such a list myself.
On the topic if assurances, how much does an apartment or home owner pays per year? I am learning that there is a Cantonal base insurance in most cantons, bit I can’t get an example of yearly cost. Is it a percentage of the value insured? Does anybody have a rule of thumb for the insured vale and how does it relate to other home values (fiscal one, market one etc)