Parity between Euro and CHF

We seem to be back at parity between CHF and EURO.

Wise sages of this forum, what evolution do you see in the future? Will the Euro recover, is this the right value until circumstances change? Or will the Franc keep increasing slowly but steadily (my bet for now)?

1 Like

Franc to continue strengthening vs Euro by 2-2.5% per year. Same trend as for the past 50 years

6 Likes

Based on current forward rates, the market expectation is for CHF to strengthen against EUR but only by 0.3% within a year, 1% in two years. If the ECB increases the rates more than SNB (as it should, given the inflation), the forward rates will increase as well.

2 Likes

My personal hunch is that the franc may get as high as 1.10 euros this year before returning to parity, where I predict it will remain over the longer term. But that is just a hunch.

3 Likes

Isn’t one of the “core tenets” of index investing and by extension the “FIRE movement’s” that we can’t possibly hope to successfully time or predict the market? Yet there are multiple posts trying to do this exact thing at regular interval on this forum.

OP: no one owns a functional crystal ball. Ask 10 people and you’ll get 10 different answers.

3 Likes

Not sure the Nationalbank would let the Franc get stronger without limits, that would hurt the Swiss export sector badly.

Couldn’t agree more. However, being interested in macro, it’s intellectually stimulating to debate about the future. Nothing wrong with that imho.