Pants down: yearly spending!

Heyall, thanks for contributing!
Yes, taxes & AHV need a common convention. I thought of

How much money would i need to make to exactly cover my spendings?

because that would include some taxes, I’d include them. however i see the point in why it makes sense to not list them… but then, include AHV or not? Health insurance?

anyway my goal is to show a friend of mine that it’s not only me saving money off a potential 50’000 CHF income :smiley:

for simplicity reasons i dont want to make a sheet, because noone has the data according to any choice of categories, giving an endless struggle to thefine them optimally ^^

any others?

you mean 50’000 income after tax or before? I would spend much less if I was earning that much. My gf earns around 60’000 after tax and spends around 30’000.

About CHF 35000 p.a. for me.

20000 is from our shared account which covers all the essentials and the rest is discrerionary spending.

1 Like

In 2017, not including taxes, AHV, 2nd nor 3rd pillar: 66’449.18 for a family of 4. I must say I try to save the most possible but with 2 kids and 1 wife (opposite would be even more expensive :smiley:) it’s hard to find more room for cutting down costs.

5 Likes

Oohhhh!
Thank godness I’m not the only one in this situation and with a similar spending level…:grimacing:

BTW. For more detailed spending, check out my post:

It’s a bit outdated, but I still have similar expenses. I usually spend between 3600-4000 these days. I try to never exceed 4000. That’s my main frugality (in Polish dziadować) objective.

PS. My updated budget: 1000000CHF's Journal - #88 by 1000000CHF

Hi everyone,

My first post - but stalking the discussions for a year now (also started to invest in ETF based on the discussions here, a big thanks to @nugget’s portfolio model and @_MP for the Interactive brokers crash course example!!!

Anyway, here are our spendings - couple with no kids in Zurich:

In summary:

• Total spending of 146k including investment (which amounts to the approx Net salary of me and my wife)

• 86k spending for 2 people (young married couple, no kids, moved 2 years ago from Romania), excluding tax, excluding investments (breakdown in link above). Vacation budget is 30% of this, which is very high but this is something which I consider one of the best investments (psychologically or course :slight_smile:)

• 60k investment per year (mostly ETF, partly cash in a bank waiting for the next opportunity to invest - real estate in home country - Romania / or buy ETF when next financial crisis occurs)

@Julianek - how can you spend only 41k for 2 people?
@DrQuasar - also would be curious on the breakdown, it seems almost unthinkable to spend only 66k for a family of four people

2 Likes

I thought we were spending quite a lot on vacations but it seems there’s someone who punches us in the face… :joy:

2 Likes

haha, well I plan to decrease this with time based on the logic: visit really far away places now (high energy, good income) + visit the Rheinfalls when I’m 60 (low energy, low income, arthritis preventing a 12 hour flight)

Easy! Here it is :

(and don’t be too hard on yourself, I used to travel a lot as well when I was younger… I guess after some time it becomes less exciting…)

3 Likes

i totally relate to this! today i have no drive to travel abroad today, after quite abit of travelling in my younger years. Switzerland is just sooo beautiful :smiley:

1 Like

Mmmmm…
Older than you both and still enjoying it like 20 years ago ! :blush:

510 for eating out 1 year! This is really super mustachian ! :blush:
Spent half of that in the last three days…:sob:

2 Likes

2 Likes

ouch! that’s a 100 euro nap :slight_smile:

280chf/year in books. Does that count for the “travel” category? :slight_smile:

Isn’t 910 chf for insurances a bit high?

Well given the topic and theme of this Forum that’s really impressive!

But then where are vacations / leisure expenses included - in Diverse? Otherwise I’d be curious on what leisure stuff do you do without spending (hiking, nature stuff) ?

Vacations are split into other categories : for instance, the transportation category include plane tickets we used to travel. Plus we do not have a car, so sometime we rent a car for an extended weekend (around 120 CHF).
As picked up before, we go rarely in restaurants but try to cook everything ourselves.
Leisures activities include hiking, reading (the book category are all the books we bought on Amazon because we could not find them on libgen.io), and having friends coming at home (or the other way around).

Yup, I was still paying a costly mistake I did when I arrived in Switzerland by signing with an “advisor” for having a 5 years insurance contract - of course at the time I did not compare offers and this contract turned out to be among the most expensive ones. But I guess that was my tuition fee, so I learned to never ever trust anybody else that myself regarding my money.

4 Likes

Family of 4 plus a dog, excluding taxes: 68K chf projected for 2019. Down from 120K a couple of years back :smiley:

2 Likes

wow, that is impressive :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Quite impressive - where did you cut down from?