On streaming services

Is there a “minimalistic” streaming service where I go AFTER I have selected a show, search for it, and watch it, without seeing all other million shows available in the process? I can handle the wall of enticing videos on offer, but small children can’t really.

I turned off images on YT and this helped a lot.

You can also just download videos and watch offline.

Sounds like you want something like a DVD collection, but digital?

2 Likes

How small are they? I’ve been on and off all major services and they all rely on keeping you hooked. Sounds more like a question on media education, not minimalism :wink:

I mostly use BlueRay etc. from the library with the children. We pick together and eventually watch one episode at a time for series.
Alternatively, you could pre-select some acceptable choices in a favorite like “my list” on Netflix.
I guess that’s what @Double_A suggests.

Both those options require parental guidance and won’t work if the kid alone has the hands on the remote (or mouse or tablet).

1 Like

may some add on in Kodi can help you. it works like a media library

YouTube is cracking down on people subscribing to premium in another country via VPN. After 1 year India, 1 year Turkey and about half a year Ukraine, they have now sent me an e-mail telling me they cancelled my subscriptions.

Anyone know how to circumvent this? No way I’m paying 16.–/month, the CHF ~2 I paid up to now have been acceptable.

1 Like

Youtube Revanced. But its a bit sketchy though… Maybe not worth the risk to give so many permissions to a cracked app.

What did they write? Did they mention a reason?

Also, have you used this Youtube/Google Account for other things such as Play Store etc?

We use Firefox + ublock and do not see any advertisements on youtube (in case this is the reason you pay for premium).

I usually watch YT on Apple TV, sadly no solution there.

There is, but you would need a RasperryPi or something else in your network, that is constantly up.
GitHub - dmunozv04/iSponsorBlockTV: SponsorBlock client for all YouTube TV clients.

2 Likes

Won’t help much once YouTube rolls out server-side injected ads.

Yes… But I would rather have a 20 sec black screen or generic loading animation than 20 sec random ads that try to subconsciously influence me.
This will still be possible, no matter whether its server-sided or not.

Could be that I get annoyed of the black screen as well, but then I would likely just consume less YouTube.

I’'m watching a lot of tv lately. I just record shows on yallo and whatch them later. I skip ads with no problems. The only downside is that yallo has max 1000 recording slots and I don’t know if it’s possible to backup them outside their walled garden.
I’m happy anyway, apart maybe for some bugs on yallo’s software ( UI issues and stupid recording functionality (it keeps recording reruns…that’s a big issue with british TV tht tend to show their serie’s episodes twice per week)

I have a Synology NAS, maybe I can use that. Or have a look at possibilites provided by the alternative firmware for the router (Asuswrt-Merlin). Thanks!

@assemblyrequired, you have any insights on that? Might be useful for others in the same situation.

Is it a personal subscription, or family? I’ve also got YouTube Premium through a cheap country, but I’m on a family plan. No problems so far.

Personal subscription. The message in full:

1 Like

The solution would be to not buy the YouTube Premium membership, but join a family subscription. This way they can’t cancel it for you, because you didn’t actually buy it.

I got mine from https://cheapershopglobal.com/product/youtube-premium-upgrading-service/, costs like $17 bucks for a whole year, paid with Revolut in INR. The “company” is Indian, so no problems with the current crackdown, because the owner is literally in India.

6 Likes

Interesting. I guess this makes you give up some privacy, since the family owner will be able to see your viewing history (and potentially impose restrictions). Also, are you able to leave this family subscription easily if you are not happy?