Neon-bank fee free worldwide

I personally pay with credit card only. Debit card costs too much and comes with no benefits.
With the credit card I get at least 1% cashback or 2.4miles per CHF.

The Visa debit card by ZKB costs CHF 40. Or take a package for CHF 5 per month, still cheaper than UBS.

1 Like

Raiffeisen with the “sociétaire” status is a good one. CHF 40 for the card but you get benefits like 50% ski or museum for free and no other fees.

1 Like

not yet available in Zürich :frowning:

1 Like

https://www.raiffeisen.ch/zuerich/de/privatkunden/konten/zahlungskonten/privatkonto-plus.html

About Raiffeisen: They are planning to give MemberPlus status even without Card, that’s what they told me, but I didn’t see anything online yet.
It should be an App. Weird. They value an app more than 40chf per year per person?

3 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: [COFFEE] Bar fight about woke culture

I’ve been using this 1CHF account for a while. My setup is: 1CHF ZKB account + free ZKB Kundenkarte for cash at ZKB ATM + free swiss credit card for card payments in CH (haven’t been using it recently) + revolut for card payments in CH as well.

3 Likes

I just got my Kundenkarte :slight_smile:
Glad to hear we have the identical set-up :smiley:

1 Like

Is it available for people living not in canton ZH?

Can you use it with other cantonal banks for free?

Shall we make a separate thread for 1CHF ZKB account?

Yes.

Pro tip: Any Swiss bank will open an account via paper mail. You’ll just need a verified copy of an ID. Cantonal banks have an agreement that they copy and verify IDs for free if it is for other cantonal banks.

I doubt it.

Before I had my current setup, I had my main account at at different Kantonalbank and used the following for the “getting cash” part of my setup: I’ve got the free ZKB Savings account + free Kontokarte and used it exclusively for getting cash at ZKB ATMs for free. So you might want to check if your Kantonalbank offers a similar savings account.

Nitpick of the day: You can’t open a Raiffeisen account from another canton. They let you keep it if you move, but they don’t let you open if you live in another canton.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed that they are charging more than the mastercard reference rate?

I have a transaction in GBP on the 5th of september where the mastercard reference rate for gbp/chf was 1.13190 and in my Neon app it says 1.1397.

The transaction is also not an open booking and is settled.

I can see deviations between neon and the Mastercard Currency Converter Calculator.

e.g., on May 30th 2022, neon says the exchange rate in EUR was 1.0321 while Mastercard gives 1.0339. In this case it was in my advantage.

Do they compute an average?

It also depend when your payment is effective.

No, my payments all have different exchange rates booked on the same day meaning they propably took the live mastercard reference rate and not a daily average one which makes sense. Funny is that all payments were during the day and noticeably above the rate from the calculator meaning that during night (for me) the exchange rate had to be significantly lower to reach the average number of the day from the calculator.

I’ve never had this issue ans always paid at the day rate exchange of Mastercard. Although I read somewhere that the exchange rate occurred during the day (like at 3 pm). But I can’t confirm if this is right now.

Bit late to the (Black Friday & Cyber Monday) party but…

Neon currently offers warranty extension for free on electronic devices purchased with their card:

I already noticed one needs to read very carefully though (the following seems to be true for their Metal and green products as well):

The insurance is extending the manufacturer’s warranty only, not your (2-year) statutory warranty rights required by consumer law.

Example:
Apple products, which are, for consumers, subject to a two-year statutory warranty when purchased from a Swiss merchant (that could be the Apple Store). Yet they only have one year of manufacturer’s warranty. Neon’s extended warranty will thus effectively extend coverage to three years after purchase (1 + 2 years), not four years. And if you have a product without a manufacturer’s warranty, the terms suggest that you receive no warranty extension at all.

The German-language version of their article linked above makes this much clearer in the headline, with their wording of “Herstellergarantie”, than the English-language version does.

1 Like

Are you all experiencing problems to access the Neon app?
Lately when I try to access I get an error screen to try again later…
One or twice it’s ok, now it seems it’s happening too often

1 Like

It’s not working for me either.

And it’s been happening more frequently for me, too. I use them exclusively for the credit card, which I use abroad. So it’s still kind of ok. But if they were my primary bank account, I’d really be looking for alternatives right now.

2 Likes

Same issue here. No news on their site or on twitter
Edit: see FB for some info.

edit 2: they even had a misunderstanding about emoji ahahah.(reminds me another topic here…)

1 Like