Need advice to keep my B permit... :/

Hi everyone,

I’ve just been made redundant from my job.

I’m an EU citizen with a B permit and the immigration office informed me that I will lose my current permit if I don’t find a new job very soon.

Consequently, I should leave the country!!!

1. If I lose my B permit, can I still keep my apartment in Switzerland while I look for a new job abroad or even in Switzerland?

2. How would it be possible to temporarily change from a B permit to another permit that would allow me to stay longer?

3. Can I keep my B permit if I set up a sole proprietorship company?

Any solution? :pleading_face:

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

How long do you have until you will have to renew your B permit?
A friend of mine was made redundant and she has 18 months allowances to continue her search of a new job. She had a monthly appointment with the unemployment office to prove she was applying to 8 positions a month.
She managed to keep her B permit and her flat during the period.

You should be able to find another position or apply for training.

Will you be having unemployement benefits and registered at RAV?

When we had layoffs in our company, external lawyer seem to imply that esp. for EU/EFTA it shouldn’t be a problem if you’re registered at RAV/actively looking/having unemployement benefits.

Would you have enough money to sustain yourself while you’re searching for a job? (iirc you need like >40k in your bank account?)

As EU/EFTA I don’t think they can really refuse a permit if you’re actively looking (due to freedom of movement agreement), you’re generally free to come in Switzerland with the purpose of looking for a job.

Also note that you can stay in Switzerland as long as your application for permit isn’t denied (e.g. it’s being processed/appealed).

1 Like

For having a permit without being employed, see FAQ – Free Movement of Persons

That’s definitely an option if you have enough in your bank account (but you’ll probably need to apply for a different kind of permit, and convert it to a work one once you have a job).

edit: it also mentions you can be granted a 3 months (extended up to 1y) permit to find a job: https://www.sem.admin.ch/dam/sem/en/data/eu/fza/personenfreizuegigkeit/factsheets/fs-nichterwerbstaetige-e.pdf.download.pdf/fs-nichterwerbstaetige-e.pdf

1 Like

So it doesn’t seem so dire. From what I understand you have 6 months to find a job, get started on your interviews/search.

(Note : it’s way more generous than non EU folks)

Beyond that either you have enough money to live in Switzerland (then apply for a non working permit, as linked in previous post), or you don’t and then I’m not sure why you’d want to stay anyway.

Is it your case?
How long will you be getting unemployment benefits?

Hmm actually the migration office said me that B permit is only for work purpose… so I didn’t get it how did you manage to get it without working?

Yes when I have been fired I was in Switzerland for 11 months and not 12 months…
Until December.

Although I don’t have any advice I have a question: doesn’t the B permit remain valid until its original expiration date for EU citizens? In other words: if you got your permit for five years, in the third year you stop working (for any reason) doesn’t it remain valid uncoditially for the remaining 2 years?
Otherwise, a non-Swiss, but EU citizen, could feel not treated fair by paying unemployment insurance during work and being kicked out from the country once starts profiting from unemployment benefits (and as a consequence of leaving the country losing the benefit eventually).

In any case, if you’re actually looking for a job I doubt it will take 6 months.

Since you know you’re being let go, you can already contact the RAV. Depending on your situation before moving to Switzerland you might be eligible to unemployment benefits (but usually it requires contributing at least 12 months).

RAV will require you to apply to at least 8 jobs per month. (And I assume the Migrationsamt might use the same criteria).

I kinda doubt if you actually look for a job you’ll be waiting very long to find something.