Need advice regarding shared bank account

Hello

I am trying to change our banking accounts. Currently we are at postfinance (me) and NAB (husband), NAB is tied to mortgage and cannot be changed at the moment. What I would like to have is an additional account which is shared for our household to pay all the joint bills and buy things like food. This means we would need 2 separate maestro or similar cards and one joint account preferably with e-banking. I can’t find anything like that. I could move my account to ZAK, but that doesn’t solve the problem of a joint account.
I am also open for other suggestions. Maybe someone has a good idea.

1 Like

I know nobody here is rally a fan of UBS, but I think their UBS Family bank package is great if you have at least 10k total assets on all your accounts combined (including rental surety savings account). You get sole and joint accounts with debit cards, credit cards, free cash withdraws in CHF in Switzerland, great apps and you just need one E-Banking login to see everything. 15CHF/month for everything.

I have ZAK as well but E-bills aren’t supported and there isn’t really a good way to get a joint account with 2 debit cards.

3 Likes

Do agree, UBS is in many situations not my first choice anymore. But how they handle joint accounts and their cards is great. And the e-Banking is still since many years top notch in the market. So the costs of CHF 7.50 monthly per person might be fair, if you want to do it that way.

1 Like

I’m on the same situation and I’m thinking about either investing 25k at PF to have the account for free or two start using two Zak accounts and have indeed no joint account. :-/

I was waiting for eBills on ZAK to make a switch but now that you are telling me that they dont issue joint accounts I am bit torn. Bank Cler seams to offer Joint accounts according to this blog: https://www.cler.ch/de/blog/blog/gemeinsameskonto/ does any one know if joint accounts would be possible with ZAK in the future?
Personaly I am using the Privatkonto Plus at ABS as a joint account https://www.abs.ch/de/privatpersonen/fuer-den-alltag/alltagskonto-plus/#0-unser-angebot until last year there where no fees now you pay 12 CHF per year. To sign a Privatkonto Plus you have to buy ten shares of the bank. Dividends made up for the fees sofar.

1 Like

Instead of a joint account, use a joint budget. You can add who paid what and at the end of the year you split the bills and who paid more will receive something from the other(s)

3 Likes

Same here, happy with UBS Family Account.

1 Like

Migros Bank has free joint account if >7500 CHF (otherwise 3frs/month). You get one free maestro. Ebanking not very sexy but does the work and has ebill.
My girlfriend uses the maestro and I have a crédit card with cashback that I use only for common expenditures (and internet shopping) and the bill is payed end of month via LSV from the joint account.

1 Like

I use the [BCV family direct banking]((https://www.bcv.ch/en/Personal-Banking/Produits/All-in-one-banking-packs/Family-Direct-banking-pack), it is free if you hold at least CHF 15’000 of assets. I’m so far pretty happy with BCV.

1 Like

BCV works well too. Same conditions only the limit is 15k in total assets but the monthly price is 0.- SIlver credit cards are included.

1 Like

We have the same issue. At the moment we use Postfinance as joint account. 5 CHF per month, 2 cards. I use ZAK as personal account.

We looked at Migros Bank for the joint account, but there are additional charges I believe (is it for incoming payments?). I wouldn’t want to pay 15 CHF as with UBS.

Careful btw with investing 25k with Postfinance to avoid the 60 CHF cost per year. They are rather expensive for investments, so you might well pay more that way than simply putting up with the 60 CHF.

Would be great though if ZAK (or Yapeal or Neon) offered a free or cheaper joint account…

It doesn’t need to be free, I mean they need to survive too. But I would totally pay 5-10 CHF/month for a good family package with Revolut FX rates.

I would, too. Rather have fair, transparent costs than hidden fees. At the moment I don’t think we have to worry about banks not getting money, there usually are enough hidden and not hidden fees.

I believe Yapeal wants to have fair FX rates as well, but I don‘t know if they will have family packages.

Hi there
I’m a bit in the same situation: we have PostFinance and a shared account with two cards. I contacted Neon regarding the possibility to order a second card. They answered, that they know that this is a requirement of many customers and that they will launch that in the future - but with no date. Will wait for that.

1 Like

Hello,
Sorry if the question is a bit off-topic.
Was wondering how to declare the shared bank account balance for a non-married couple.
Would it be OK to have one person declare 60% of the accounts balance and the other one 40% if that is the ratio of contributions or has it to be 50/50?
Thanks a lot,
Paul

I once asked the tax authority of Basel Stadt and they confirmed it’s 50/50.

I guess, though, if you can prove that it’s 60/40, then it might be fine? But is worth the hassle?

Thanks for your answer, happy to be fixed!
Will calculate what the difference would be… and if it’s worth the whole Drum und Dran, you’re right.