My story as well as a thank you note

Hey, I’m Hmm. I’m currently in my mid-20s and I’ve been reading both the blog and the forum for a while without actively interacting with it.

My story is not quite spicy. I went to school, did my Bachelor and started working.
I started with nothing… No money, but also no good financial education.

I knew I had to save money, but how? My parents told me about the checking account and 3a account and that was it.

I’ve always been very curious. So, when came the time to open a 3a pillar account, I looked over the internet for different insurances and banks to find the best one.

At some point, I found out that you can invest your money in your 3a pillar in stocks. My experience at the time with stocks was non-existent and my financial education regarding stocks was that “it’s for gambling”.

I then dug a bit deeper and ended on the blog related to this forum and this forum and :exploding_head:.
I found out about stocks, mustachianism, the FIRE movement. I found that you don’t have to work to live and live to work.

A whole new world opened up to me. A world full of possibilities, opportunities. A world where you can retire when you are 40.

Well, that’s the theory.

I don’t want to FIRE. Or at least, I don’t want to RE. I’m mostly looking for the FI part of FIRE. I want to be able to do things without having to think about how you will find money to eat food at the end of the month. I want to be able to start businesses without risking losing everything.

My current situation is better now. I have a small security cushion, my 3a pillar with VIAC is maxed out and the rest is invested through IBKR and I have my new finance interest that is transforming into a hobby (yes, it’s possible).

I have to thank the users of this forum as well as MP himself as you opened for me a new way to see my future.

Thanks.

10 Likes

Mid 20s and all set for the future with the right platforms (VIAC, IBKR), the right attitude and a good base with your Bachelor. What a dream scenario! I think you are going to do extremely well in the next 20 years.

4 Likes

I don’t know what the future holds for me. But I’m glad to have found the tools to prepare it best quite early in my life :smile:

2 Likes

Dont’ stop at the bachelor like I did…

3 Likes

I stopped for now. I actually started a master in the same field I did my bachelor in and did not like it.

I’m not blocking myself out of a master, but I will do it only if I find a domain I’m interested in that is different.

And if you are thinking about salary, I’m quite well for now given my age, experience,… (regardless of my paper). :smile:

1 Like

Think about the future.

The older you get, the longer you are in the workforce, the less likely that you’ll pursue a Master’s degree.

Some things are easier done in life while you’re young. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Neville @ma0 Does it really add any value in a career? So far, I can’t tell I have seen a difference.
It’s probably less relevant in start-ups where they don’t look too much at your credentials. That would be my understanding with what I’ve experienced so far.

I have a counter point, only did my Bachelors and eventually after graduating landed a job at one of the FAANG companies where I doubled my salary within 4 years to now 230k CHF. The only thing I would give you on the way, never be shy to apply to a job where you think you have no chance for. The worst that can happen is added interview expirience.

1 Like

I think it really depends on the field of work.

I’m a scientist. I wouldn’t even have had much of a chance of landing a decent job without a PhD.

What I meant to say is: the decision for or against a Master must be made sooner rather than later.

@MrCheese I have to agree that for now, what served me well is negotiation skill. Compared to some of my friends in the same field, I already got quite a lot more.

@Neville OK, I get it.

ahahahah.
The worst it happens is that …nothing happens. Most of the time they don’t even contact me. I believe it’s mostly the title, even if doubt it adds really that much to a person’s knowledge, outside of some fields (science, and i’m not 100% sure of that).

But it might be me, who knows. (no FAANG or anything similar)

1 Like