Mustachians, introduce yourselves!

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on the forum for quite some time and now I am starting to get a little bit more seriously into the all FI world.

I am 28 years old, I am an actuary and l moved to Zurich in 2018. I am currently living alone since my girlfriend is still living and studying in Italy.

I have always flirted with the concept of frugal lifestyle, I am constantly struggling with the definition of how much is too much. When you draw the line between being frugal and being to narrow minded and not enjoying life. Hope I will figure this out one day :slight_smile:

Net worth at the end of 2020:

• Cash: 77k
  • Investments (IB, company stocks): 49k
  • 2nd pillar: 41k
  • 3rd pillar: 5k (started just in December with Finpension)
5 Likes

Hey @Tia_0 Welcome!
im quiet surprise with the amount that you have in the 2nd Pillar. Iā€™m also 28 (1992) and i have only 20k. I donā€™t have a very high salary 85k (Brutto) but stillā€¦ do you invest extra money on your 2nd Pillar?

1 Like

My contribution is 4.8% while my employer contributes with an additional 18.5%.

The contribution are calculated on the insured salary which is 80% of the Gross salary.

On top of that they contribute also with 10% of the bonus. It is a very generous scheme!

3 Likes

Hi Tia_0,

Welcome and thanks for the answer. Is that scheme standard for people sharing your position in your company or did you negociate for it?

Hi @Wolverine, thank you for the welcome!
It is the standard scheme for every employee in our company :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone

Iā€™m in my late twenties and have been able to save up quite a bit in the last few years with a couple of good investments (rather speculative) and now Iā€™m looking into investing into an index fund (still unsure if just one for whole world, or mix it up with a few (US, CH, EUROPE)). So far I have a few single shares, that are not doing to bad atm (if it werenā€™t for the low $ price, but thatā€™ll go up again). I plan to be FIRE in 10-12 years (early 40s).

Iā€™ve very much enjoyed going through loads of posts from MP and also some forum entries.

To a lot of nice converstations!

1 Like

Yap, thanks for your answer.
I was just surprised that he had already a very good amount on his 2nd pillar for his age ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hello All and Happy New Year.

Iā€™ve been on this forum for long but never wrote an introduction. Iā€™m 36, married, with 1 child. Iā€™ve been living in Switzerland for 10+ years. Iā€™m frugal by nature and mostly interested in sitting on couch while watching documentaries and reading books (sometimes related to money like the simple path to wealth, psychology of money, reports/articles from AQR, GMO, Verdad, sometimes papers from Fama and French etc.). You can imagine the index + value-bent!

To FI & RE by 50, I aim to have 2 million CHF in equity assets (so not considering 2nd pillar which should be close to 0.5 million CHF by then, AHV, inheritance, etc). I am assuming 4-4.5% return from equity in CHF terms over next 14 years, and 3% SWR if I RE at 50.

Through 2020, I learnt that having a good emergency fund makes me sleep well. I must admit I had bad sleep for 2-3 nights in late March. That when I moved >20% of portfolio from cash to equity in Feb 2020 :slight_smile: So I am keeping 10-12 months of expenses. All else is equity (IB+VIAC). Pillar 2 is nearly 20% of total (equity + pillar2). Going forward >25% of my annual savings are going to be pillar 2 anyways, so not looking for bonds yet.

Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions and answers on this forum

Cheers,
Covfefe

8 Likes

Hi there,

Happy New Year to everyone!

Just joined the forum a week ago. Arrived to Switzerland from a non-EU country in 2015. It was supposed to be 1 year short term assignment. Got a local contract, met my wife , had a baby (he is 2 y/o now) and still here I am. Discovered the forum a while ago, decided to get a user and contribute. Well , to be honest not sure if I can contribute a lot but my aim is to learn & discover. Still not familiar with all abbreviations, doing a lot reading so accept my apologies in advance in case I make any mistake. By the way I am 38 y/o and my wife 40. We have 1mn CHF saving and unfortunately all in cash, so am here to change that. (I can see you laughing but it`s never too late) Anyways, I will spend some time go through the posts, doing all the reading, already opened my DEGIRO accountā€¦ Looking forward to actively join the discussions. Good evening everyone, stay safe.

13 Likes

Hi Jenga and welcome!

Just make yourself at home, read and jump in whenever you want, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll contribute well enough. :wink:

1 Like

Welcome! Depending on where you live in Switzerland, it could make sense to purchase a house or a flat.

1 Like

Congrats, was that all accumulated in those 5 years since youā€™re here?

Hi MrCheese, I can say mostly, my wife was in Switzerland since 2008 , she arrived from EU country and she got Swiss citizenship a couple months ago, we are both working for tobacco industry therefore we have considerably good salaries. Another point to consider, even though we did not follow FIRE approach , we have always monitored our expenses and did profit from the fact that I am coming from a non-EU country. (Vacation, shopping etc)

Best Regards

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, and of course you donā€™t have to answer, but where are you from?

Hi Neville,

I am coming from Turkey.

Cheers

Hi there,

Iā€™ve already posted on this forum but I never introduced myself, so here i go!

Iā€™m 26 years old and live with my Girlfriend. I landed on this blog while searching for the best online broker to invest my money. I come from a typical modest (middle class) family. Because I had an other mindset than now, a bigger salary than my dad when I turned 18 and didnā€™t always mixed up with the right people, I spent a lot of money before I realized I couldnā€™t go on like this.

The turnaround point was the day i realized that putting 50k cash for a brand new sports car was literally a huge mistake, but it was also too late. I ended up selling my car for almost the half of the buying price and bought my first building with 3 apartments. After that i looked for a way to optimize the rents that I perceived, and finally found out the Mustachian Post :relieved:

Some key numbers:

• NW: 420K
  • IB: 113k
  • 3rd Pillar Viac: 23k
  • Yearly Expenses: 52.5k (Edit: For my GF and i)

I feel sorry for my English level, to learn it is already a set goal for 2021 and thatā€™s why i challenge myself to post.

See you on other topics :v:

14 Likes

Welcome @Kirby! If you donā€™t mind sharing, what industry & type of job do you have?

Of course, i work in the sports industry.

I forgot also to mentionned my savings key points who permitted me to live more frugally:

• Always drink water
  • Read instead of watching tv
  • Mind your own business
  • Learn how to cook
  • Sell your car
  • Listen to podcast instead of music
  • Go on holiday with your bike or go hiking instead of taking the plane
  • Only shop your groceries with a 10-day list
  • Do your laundry the weekends
  • Choose Hobbies that are Ā« free Ā» (swimming, hiking, bicycle, ski touring etc.)
5 Likes

How does listening to podcasts instead of music and doing your laundry on the weekends translate to living more frugally?

1 Like

I learned so much by listening to podcasts and there are so many subjects on spotify that you could find anything you want to hear about. It was also optimizing my time during the travels i made by train. I basically changed my mindset just by listening to podcasts and thatā€™s why i live more frugally todayā€¦

Electricity prices are lower on weekends, by running your dishwasher and laundry this way you can save a certain amount over years.

1 Like