Mustachian sports and gym

Thanks for the advice @radek (another Polish guy? :slight_smile:)

I’m changing apartments in April, so I prefer to wait instead and buy a good bike.

I bought some dumbbell already and they’re laying under the bed. The biggest problem with exercising at home is not the lack of equipment, but the motivation.

I don’t have space for that. And even if I had, I don’t have the skills to figure this out.

Back when I was interested in gaining some muscle, a pro also told me, if I don’t want to go to the gym, I just need this TRX thing. You basically mount it on the door, and when you’re finished you can put it back in the closet.

But is it really how you want to spend your precious time? If you need muscle, then carry your kid on your shoulders on a hiking trip, vacuum your flat, clean your car - you get the drift: do something useful or fun.

Also, if you want best result with lowest amount of time, check out High-intensity interval training (HIIT).

That makes sense. Although I think exercise is so important for happiness, health and longevity, I should do more than that. HIIT might be a good solution for my shrinking time budget.

Could you send me please this? Or share it here - maybe others are interested as well… :slight_smile:

That’s my main problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

The easiest solution is to find a partner. Let’s say I want to lose 3kg. We will make a plan and post our efforts to see who’s better and so on. Sometimes is not about being better, but just showing what we do.

Why don’t you open a tread with your progession here on the forum?

Perfect idea! I have already a general thread on my FI progress - I can post my progress in other areas to motivate myself.

Hei, you might be interested in freeletics (freeletics.com). It’s my cheap alternative to a gym subscription.

It’s a HIIT (high intensity interval training) bodyweight workout. This means you can do it at home without needing any equipment. In ~30mins you are done and (most of the time) truly spent. The best way to use it is to buy the coach (although there is a free version availabe), which is around 120CHF/year. The virtual coach gives you a program each week based on your progress/feedback of the previous week.

It’s great because it’s challenging physically and mentally, but since it’s tailored for you it’s challenging but not impossible. Over time you get stronger both physically and mentally. The boost in confidence and self-esteem you get when you finish a workout where you needed to do like 100 burpees, 100 push-ups 100 squats etc is just the best ever, since when you began training you probably couldn’t even do 20 burpees without dying. The progress you made is amazing and you became really proud of yourself.

I honestly highly recommend it , it’s my cheap alternative to gym. I think the price is honest for what you get. I have been using it for almost 2 years on an off. Previously I have been at the gym but I was never this challenged and committed. It has a great community that gives you supportALL.THE.TIME (and indirectly forces you to push yourself even more and be committed).

The period of my life where I was doing freeletics 3x week and running 2x week (+ other personal development activities) was the period where I felt the most stronger both physically and mentally in my life. So again highly recommended.

If you want I can invite you, I think you get 20% off (and I get a silly gift like a mat or something, but I honestly don’t care much for those, freeletics is so great I am willing to recommend it basically without anything in return).

edit: p.s. also if anyone is doing it let me know I will add you

3 Likes

Hey, I’m already using the free version (not too regularly). I’ll send you in PM my profile name. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. on the side of the Athletics Track in Zug (Herti Allmend) there is a small surface in the open for cross training, I often see people there with TRX bands, skipping ropes etc.
  2. check out the Sport Halle in Zug, they have rooms for weights: https://secure.i-web.ch/gemweb/zug/de/verwaltungpolitik/verwaltung/reservationen/sportanlagen/welcome.php?show=details&action=none&raum_id[0]=1743
    https://secure.i-web.ch/gemweb/zug/de/verwaltungpolitik/verwaltung/reservationen/sportanlagen/welcome.php?show=details&action=none&raum_id[0]=709
  3. maybe a Turnverein could allow you access to a gym nearby for a small fee and provide some motivation
1 Like

What about a Swiss Mustachian fitness accountability whatsapp group? :sweat_smile: I would be interested as I would like to level up my fitness and I already walk my dog every day on steep hills… We could post our goals and achievements and check in with each other. Who is in? (we can share mobile numbers via PM)

1 Like

I’m totally in. We could make a group in Strava and Freeletics as well.

great!

I signed up for freeletics but I can’t see the free options. I prefer just whatsapp if possible. Will send you a PM and hopefully more people will join!

1 Like

I think the “free” option is to just download their “Freeletics Bodyweight” app and then you can skip the “coach” and try some of the workouts.

1 Like

depends on your goals . for cardio I see no point of gym - why pay to go on a fixed bike or treadmil when you can do outside for free. same with yoga lots of great courses on youtube to do in evenings. if its about strength building again lots of stuff at home- chin up bars, press up hoops etc. Calisthenics exercise will make you a beast. also calisthenics equipment can be made at home cheap and combine with parkour forest roots for rings etc

1 Like

I need the definitely read more about Calisthenics. I basically want to improve my endurance, strength and look (in that order). So I started from short freeletics cardio exercises every day (btw. @mrs_oberland WhatsApp group works very well for motivation :slight_smile: ), but I’ll eventually add weight lifting exercises. I need to check out how to exercise with my dumbells.

1 Like

Btw, samsung has a nice app “samsung health” that allows to have group monitoring for performances etc.

I’m using a Google Fit app for tracking steps and calories (it also gets info from Freeletics and Strava, so I have everything in one place).

+1 for the bodyweight regimen. There is some interesting programs/tips/discussions on Reddit’s Bodyweight sub. Have a look at their wiki too for some programs to follow.

1 Like

You can also find very interesting channels with a lot of training programs in youtube. The one I like most ist the fitness blender channel

My fitness choice is activ fittness.
I chose a fitness center subscription because I also like to do courses (like body pump) and this is something you can only do in a fitness center. For Switzerland they have reasonable prices for what they offer and their subscriptions do not renew themselves automatically every year (you have to renew the actively - in which case you get an extra month for free). Also one of the biggest advantages is that they have a lot of studios around Zurich and you can go wherever you like. So you have a lot of options to find a course that you like or combine fitness with other stuff you are doing.

By the way if anybody is interested in active fitness, they have a referral program – feel free to pm me

1 Like

Freeletics it’s free, meaning you can pick “gods” workout as you will and do them.
If you want the use the coach, that is AI that adjust workout on a week-by-week basis based on your results and your progress, you need to pay.

Also for me the rason why freeletics works and I have sticked to it (more or less, but still more than going to the gym) is that it leaves out the pain of thinking about what I need to do to train (plus, I can train at home, immediately after I feel like it; no more going to the gym and training 30 minutes after you felt like it, which basically means when your motivation is gone).
You follow the coach (after a while you also know the exercises without needing to check the videos) and that’s it. Every week is different from another. So for me it works better than going to the gym and thinking about what I need to do, plan which exercises I will do, thinking what weights I need to use, if last time I did well or not, if I need to increase or decrease the weights, how to split my training, and so on.
But that’s obviously very personal.