Mustachian phone plan [2022]

I would prefer talktalk rather than gomo.

Sunrise network, but 24 months contract.
11 chf per month unlimited in CH and 1gb roaming!

PM for refferal :wink:

1 Like

After the not very interesting Black Friday offer, Digitec Connect now has one year for 180.-

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads-up on this.

Personally, I am about to switch to Talktalk, which had a rather similar offer for 11 CHF/month.
Though with “unlimited” internet (100GB or so “fair use”), 5G and a 24month minimum contract.

No one is talking about go-mo.ch …still looking for its first 50000 clients.
All those offers are around 10chf +/- data.
I suppose that’s the minimum price in Switzerland, with more or less betting on how much the customers surf.
None is giving away a minimum of MB abroad though.

Hey, I did mention go-mo above.

TalkTalk had 1GB of roaming data included in the offer I mentioned. I got their plan for 9 CHF/month without included calls though. Domestic calls are only 0.10/min and it also includes 1GB of roaming data/month - which is much more important to me. My calling minutes will be minimal (less than the 2 CHF difference).

It was a time-limited offer though, unlike go-mo (de facto, 50’000 users or not)

Sorry, my bad. I should have written “no one is taking” without L.

Let us know how it works. I remember (eons ago) when TalkTalk was always showing “roaming” on my phone…

Hi, I got this TalkTalk offer about a year ago - all fine so far, apart from small hiccup described here: (Mustachian phone plan - #485 by baldur).

I have been a Go-Mo customer since this January and previously had Wingo. One of my biggest fears was that I had much slower Internet. I previously did speed tests with Wingo everywhere I went for a longer period of time, and now that I’m using Go-Mo I’ve redone the test. So for me it was a comparison Swisscom vs Salt.

I was pleasantly surprised, with Go-Mo I had very similar values (e.g. 170 Mbit/s down with Wingo, 160 Mbit/s down with Go-Mo. Rural canton of Fribourg). Also in Bern or the city of Fribourg as well as on hiking trip on the mountain, everything was always very similar.

In general, I was satisfied. But that has just changed, because I found out that internet and SMS work, but I can not make or receive calls with my smartphone now at all. Seems to be a common problem with Go Mo according to research. I only found out by accident because I had to call somewhere. I’ll have to sort it out on Monday. If this problem, which seems to be more common, was not there, then Go Mo would be highly recommended by me.

Regarding Roming, which is very important to some: If you have a smartphone that supports an eSim there are now very good deals. I am in Germany from time to time and sometimes need data for Google Maps. There are eSim providers like Bnesim where you can get a 1 GB credit for currently only 3.72 CHF, which is valid for an unlimited time in all of Europe. If you are sparing with the data, that is easily enough for months, if you are only sporadically abroad. There are of course also larger packages or packages with 30 days duration, which are cheaper. With the help of an eSim and GoMo, I currently have the cheapest package that you can have in Switzerland for unlimited Internet. If there was not this problem with calling…

So you have a physical Go Mo SIM for phone calls and domestic data an eSIM for roaming data?

Yes, that is correct. You simply need a smartphone with a normal sim slot and an eSim option. I have a Google Pixel and it works wonderfully.

Hi!

I switched to talktalk today and the network seems to be not as good as expected.

10 mbits download speed! Do you have better performance from your side?

Just tested with Speedtest (iPhone 12, 5G with 1 or 2 bars (out of 4)) - 10.4 Mbps download, 0.7 Mbps upload, ping 72 ms. Never tested it before as I didn’t have a need, not sure how those numbers are worse than other providers.

1 Like

10 mbps is very bad. I sent a support request to talktalk. I will keep you in touch.

I get 95 Mbps in Zürich using 4G with Talktalk.

Just got 260 mbps at train station… Weird.

Will further investigate.

2 Likes

FYI - I was checking in Geneva.

5 mbps in my house in Valais. My girlfriend uses Yallo (also on Sunrise), it’s just as bad.

I’m using Swype Surf (Sunrise Network) for 15CHF/month for Mobile Data.

But the coverage is… awful outside city centers?
For example, just yesterday I was on a train between Luzern and Bern and had 0 mobile data at times and at others very slow data (think loading this forum in 15 seconds). Other people on the Sunrise network don’t have these problems, sometimes literally next to me.

Did all the usual stuff (e.g. Data Saving Off, Reset Network Settings). Nothing helped, I contacted Swype and their response was “everything looks normal from our side… network coverage can fluctuate from time to time”.

I have a couple of hypothesis of what is going on:

• something is wrong with my iPhone
    • But what? I went through all the steps I could find online to no avail.
  • swype has lower priority on the Sunrise network
    • Not sure if this would be legal.
    • The throttling would seem extreme.
  • my data usage is higher than 97% of the users and is part of the first deprioritization (which according to them is after around 100gb/month usually)
    • This doesn’t strike me as plausible, my use is below 100gb and the throttling would be really excessive.
  • This is just the normal experience on the Sunrise network
    • But in this case, I don’t understand why sometimes people right next to me on Sunrise network have much faster mobile data.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

How’s their network quality been after a while now?

A bit set off by the 24m min contract duration.
Swype seems like a decent alternative, but a bit worried about the network given trotro’s feedback.

2 Likes