"Mustachian" new bank account for newborn babies

Hello All,

My apologies if the topic was already discussed…

What would be the best option for a baby savings account?

Normally there should be kind of advantageous terms for a new child savings account, but here in Switzerland I see no difference to the standard 0% or -%

The plan would be to put a small amount of money aside every month (for 20 - 25 years), so that to be able to get the most out of it in the adult life…

Here are some examples, but it really depends on where you live :
Coop Depositenkasse / Coop Caisse de dépot (NOT a bank) : 0.2%
SB Saanenbank : 0.5%
Caisse d’Épargne d’Aubonne : 1.25%
Caisse d’Épargne Riviera : 1%
Glarner Kantonalbank : 0.25% (max 20k)

2 Likes

Me and my wife decided not to create any accounts on our children’s names.

3 Likes

20-25 years is perfect for investing in a diversified ETF (low risk of loss over such a timeframe).
An accumulating world or similar ETF, that you don’t own yourself, in one of your own broker-accounts, gives a clean solution and easy to keep “separate”.
You’ll have to pay the taxes on it, regardless.

2 Likes

Exactly, for example degiro or Flatex (sub)account for your children.

CX kids account? It seems pretty I retesting the 5% up to 1000chf… Any experience with it?

In terms of savings account, i highly recommend Caisse d’Epargne d’Aubonne (again, depends on where you live). It has 1.25% until age 30. They also have current accounts from age 16 which have 0.75% until age 30, all free with a Maestro card.

1 Like

AKB waives the fees for investments into the depot for children.

1 Like

For AKB indeed it seems interesting… (no fees and 0.15% interest up to 50k?). However as my German is not so good I cannot get clear all the other details…

CX Viva Kids Savings account might be a good choice if you have already CS account and you plan just to deposit 1K per year for getting the 5% I guess…

Assuming I am already an account holder in Interactive Brokers and if I choose to go with the “VT” ETF option for 20 years in my own account, and assuming my plan was to put aside around 250-chf a month for my child would it be better in terms of fees/taxes to go with IB and VT or with Degiro and VWRL?