Moving investments from Migros Bank

Hey mustachians :slight_smile:

In the past month I discovered the world of bogleheads and mustachians, thus realizing that low cost US index funds are something I want to invest in.

14 years ago my parents bought me funds at Migros Bank tracking Swiss and Liechtenstein companies in CHF. They did okā€¦ although they underperformed VT.

The thing that makes me want to move my funds away from MB is the high TER ~1.26%, the withdrawal penalty 5% and the low diversification.

Currently im building up a portfolio on IB where I invest in VTI/VXUS - 80/20.
The problem is that if I reinvest the funds, Iā€˜ll loose up to 5%!!! Maybe thatā€˜s not that bad since its YTD is currently 2% and VTIā€˜s is -12%ā€¦

Now my question to you guys is. What would you do?

I would take the money out despite the penalty. The lower TER of passive ETFs will compensate a 5% penalty after 4 years or so, assuming the Migros fund doesnā€™t outperform index investment. If you stay invested for many years, I wouldnā€™t want to pay such high fees every year. It adds up.

You could take a look at the fact sheet and compare the fund performance with the benchmark. I donā€™t know which fund you have but e.g. ā€œMigros Bank (Lux) Fonds SwissStock Aā€ underperformed the benchmark by 2.12% p.a. in the last 5 years and by 1.90% p.a. in the last 10 years. I.e. the difference has been significantly higher than the TER.

Has the 5% fee been stated/confirmed by the bank? In the KIID of the above fund I see a maximum fee of ā€˜onlyā€™ 2% (RĆ¼cknahmekommission). I.e. maybe the fee is not even that high.

You could consider reinvesting part of it in an SPI ETF (iShares Core SPI) in addition to VTI/VXUS to balance your US bias in the current VTI/VXUS allocation a bit. However, thatā€™s a separate question.

Clarification: My current Migros Bank Portfolio is ā€œMigros Bank (CH) Fonds SwissStock Aā€ 40% and ā€œMigros Bank (Lux) Fonds 50Bā€ 60%.

I appreciate your input and youā€™re right itā€™s actually 2% and not 5% (Ausgabekommision). I read that wrong.

I think Iā€™ll make the switch. :slight_smile:

Regarding your recommendation for a home bias. Why would you consider it?

Your current allocation has a US bias, which is fine if thatā€™s what you want, of course, however, it should be a conscious decision.

While listed Swiss companies are generally global companies, Iā€™d still expect a bit more correlation between SPI and the Swiss economy/currency compared to e.g. VTI. I want that bit of extra correlation in my portfolio, which is why 20% of my stock allocation is in Swiss stocks (mix of SMI and SPI Mid/Extra). Whether you want that as well or not is up to you, of course. There is nothing wrong with a stock portfolio without home bias.

My current plan is to invest in a 70/30 allocation and slowly over the years switch to a more VT-like allocation. I read somewhere in a boglehead forum that VXUS acts as a dollar hedge. I must admit Iā€™m not fully aware on how it works but wouldnā€™t that be enough of a measure against currency fluctuation? I guess itā€™s up to me to assess that.