Most cost-efficient European ETF

I did, and it is just fine.

https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/fr.html#/security/LU0490618542/20201231

On top of a misleading focus on the TER and the Vanguard brand in this forum, I often feel that there is an underestimation of financial engineering of tax optimization in accumulative synthetic funds; and as a consequence, an overestimation of the importance of tax.

See an example of identical trackers:

Accumulating: ICTax - Income & Capital Taxes

Distributing: ICTax - Income & Capital Taxes

1 Like

I completely agree with you.
I am just saying that there are many parameters and that “just go for the cheapest distributing US Vanguard” might not be the best option for us :slight_smile:

Those are not synthetic fund though (they tend to be in Luxembourg), right? I don’t think funds with physical replication can have much advantage compared to US funds, it’s basically the same structure.

Synthetic funds can potentially do a lot more, but it’s not always sustainable (tax authorities may revisit how they handle them and remove any potential tax advantages).

Edit: since it’s actually the exact same underlying fund, in your example the discrepancy is most likely due to a mismatch with the tax year vs. the fund reporting detailed data.

1 Like

And also, just be aware that synthetic ETFs carry the additional credit risk vs the issuer(s) of the underlying swaps. Yes, they are likely to be collateralized, but when the shit hits the fan (which in this case would usually be a major systemic bank going down) it’s far from guaranteed that collateral covers the full exposure.

1 Like

Exactly!

On another note, iShares MSCI ACWI is now listed in Swiss francs as well.

6 Likes

This one is interesting ! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Although I often feel that the price of these global ETFs is a wee bit expensive compared to the actual diversification they provide.

2 Likes

It might seem like a minor detail, but equal NAV doesn’t mean equal sensitivity to market changes. There’s bound to be a significant difference - no point in collateralizing an equity TRS with a basket of the same equities :wink: Without knowing which assets classes / quality are provided and against which haircuts (if any), difficult to say if it’s negligible or not under extreme stress.

The same holds for sec lending activities of course, in that you’re totally right.

1 Like

New listing today, in Swiss francs, ACWI, ESG.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. However, it’s important to note that this ETF tracks the MSCI ACWI IMI SDG Impact Select, which is substantially different from regular ACWI or ACWI ESG. The TER is 0.35% p.a. AUM is only USD 5 Mio.

https://etf.dws.com/en/IE000PSF3A70-msci-global-sdgs-ucits-etf-1c/

Top 5 holdings are Novo Nordisk, Kimberly Clark, Digital Realty REIT, Vestas, and Bristol Myers Squibb.

I think V3AA could be the solution:

• 0.24%
  • Traded in CHF
  • Accumulating
3 Likes

I am considering buying SSAC@SIX:

• 0.2%
  • Traded in CHF
  • Accumulating

But the tracking error seems rather large. Maybe someday VWCE/VWRA will be available at SIX in CHF? (fingers crossed)

1 Like

I guess you are referring to the years prior to 2021? BTW in 2022 it was -0.2 again ( :+1:).

So based on tracking difference, you should rather go with the SPDR ACWI (ACWI/IE00B44Z5B48):

By the way, does that mean it’s a hedged ETF, if it’s traded in CHF?

No, SSAC is not currency-hedged. An ETF can be traded in various currencies without hedging. Also VWRL is never hedged and it’s traded in USD, GBP, EUR and CHF.

1 Like

exactly. VWRL for comparison:

• 2018: +0.02%
  • 2019: +0.01%
  • 2020: -0.01%
  • 2021: -0.22%

But as I have Postfinance (besides IB) I don’t want to deal with foreign currencies (hence traded in CHF and accumulating, but not currency-hedged)

Btw: From which site did you get the screenshots?

Yes, Vanguard are doing a great job.

This is from TrackingDifferences.com - ETF Tracking Differences and Performance

1 Like

Hello everyone,

noticed that there was a launch of a cheaper version of the FTSE All World ETF for 0.15%. Vanguard is 20BPs. Any thoughts?

Thanks

VT is 7bps though. What are you comparing to?

1 Like