Mortgage Options

I have a few questions on better understanding mortgages in Switzerland for financing a property for staying:

If the down-payment is 35%, I can only take the first mortgage for the 65% of the property’s value. I only have to pay interest “for ever” and avoid amortization. Most mortgage calculators from bank portals don’t make the distinction very clear.

• What does “for ever” mean? If I get a fixed-rate mortgage does this interest apply for life? I see fixed-rate interest rate mortgages mostly associated with the second mortgage.

• If the first mortgage has a fixed interest rate for a given term (e.g., 10y), what happens after the 10years? Do I get then a fluctuating interest rate according to the market?

• When can I refinance the first mortgage? If interest rates drop can I negotiate a new mortgage with the same or another bank before the fixed interest rate term (e.g., 10y). That wouldn’t make much sense.

• If the value of the property increases, can I negotiate a new mortgage to get 65% of the increased value and keep the difference between the old mortgage value and the new one for investing in the market?

• What’s the maximum amount that can go to downpayment from Pillar 2/3a? Is it half of the total downpayment of 35% or is this capped to half the downpayment, assuming a downpayment of 20%?

That would be amazing :star_struck: In this context “forever” means, that it is common in Switzerland to never pay back your first mortgage. But you won’t be able to lock-in a certain rate for the rest of your life instead you renew the mortgage after the term is over and get a new rate for the next term based on the rates at that point in the future.

You either make a new fixed mortgage for e.g. another 10 years or you take a variable mortgage at market rates.

You can do this, but you’ll pay a hefty penalty for it. The terms depend on the bank that gives you the mortgage.

At least 10% of the house price need to be paid from “hard” cash, meaning not from Pillar 2. If you pay out the pillar 3a to finance a home, it counts towards “hard” cash.

3 Likes