Migros CC: Migros is leaving Cembra soon

Thank you! I ordered those Poinzi cards and got a rather low limit. Was also wondering if I have too many credit cards already.

On the other hand, it is Swisscard, so they see how many cards I already have with them. And I already had all together over 11k card limit with them.

The new contract will start in July, so contractually today Cembra is their partner. it’s quite likely that Migros will send new cards to all their customer base before the end of the year.

Btw, Cembra is very aggressive with the late fees (I know the card is free :slight_smile: ). I got a 30.- bill because I was two days late.

Complain about it and ask them nicely to drop the fee. I did this a few years back, it worked. Should work for you too, if it‘s the first time.

Good, Cembra sucks so much. I never got a Migros card because I do everything I can to not have to deal with Cembra.

3 Likes

Ya but they still offer LSV (which I use).

I guess it is just lazyness to pay of upgrading their system to ebill.

1 Like

To people who use a Viseca card : can we export transactions into .csv files ? thanks

Welcome offer Cumulus Migros Bank: 2x more cumulus points at Migros during the first year

3 Likes

I was thinking the same. Unfortunately, they don’t mention which conversion rate they are using.
Almost tempted to call them to find out

3 Likes

Does anyone know if this new card it’s free to charge Revolut?

Called +41 800 800 480 (the number for Cumulus). According to the agent, they are using the internal Migros Bank rate, which is not the Mastercard / VISA rate.

Now I’m still waiting/queuing in the service line (+41 848 845 400). If you check here, you’ll see that the sell rate for EUR is 0.9830 while buy rate is 1.1015. That’s a spread of 0.032 = 3.2% between bid and ask. Compared to other banks (e.g. UBS), that’s pretty decent.

Current EUR/CHF conversion is 0.99925. So you would pay 0.01625 = 1.625% more if you buy EUR with CHF.

Where did you find the information about cashback?

Edit: just waited 14 minutes on the line - and then they just hang up

Edit #2: maximum limit of 20k, free card, no surcharge abroad. I guess that’s a winner for me. I’m so glad I didn’t sign the papers from Cembra a few weeks ago!

1 Like

It is!
Crazy that they mention it (I mean, they seem to have done great user research! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

What I also like doing is to check it by myself, asking a merchant to split his invoice in 2 equal amounts, and pay with two credit cards to really compare how it plays out :wink:

3 Likes

The guy also said yes first, but I’m wasn’t satisfied with the answer. I asked him if “he is really sure” :sunglasses:

1 Like

Did you use creditcards 10 or 15 years ago? I would have taken 1.5% anytime back then. 1.5% is not a lot, but yes: it’s more than Neon or Revolut.

We already had internet 15 years ago :wink: But yes, I also know the pre-internet times. Still remembering the days when you had to use a modem to connect. I think the sounds of connecting are forever implanted in my head :see_no_evil:

I’m not sure about the english version, but the in the german pricelist it says:

Keine BearbeitungsgebĂŒhr beim Bezahlen im Ausland Bezahlen Sie mit Ihrer Cumulus Kreditkarte weltweit ohne zusĂ€tzliche Kosten.

Which is not the same as “no foreign exchange fees”. They won’t charge you additional costs, and no additional transaction fee.

1 Like

Ok, more news. Finally reached someone at the Migros Bank service hotline. You’ll pay an additional 1.5% if you pay in a differrent currency abroad (not CHF). Still better than UBS (1.8 - 1.9%, depending on the day). Would have to check for my other bank (they are using Viseca), but I’m sure they are also in the 1.8 - 2% uplift region.

4 Likes

Totally different experience for me. First guy from Cumulus was really nice and helpful, and also the lady from Migros Bank service was super nice. Maybe you just had bad luck.

On a side note: amazing how fast we were able to figure out the conditions as a collective!

So the conditions are:

• free credit card from Migros Bank (more trustworthy than Cembra, from my point of view)
  • limit up to 20k (who needs an emergency funds anymore? :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • free cash withdrawal at Migros
  • two free cash withdrawals (up to 500 CHF each) per year
  • 1.5% uplift if you pay in a different currency
  • several insurance packages included (better than COOP supercard)
4 Likes

“several”. What is that?
The “Golden” standard for free CC is for now Ikea CC. What does this card offer exactly?

BTW don’t ruin Cembra, they have nice Kassenobligationen, I might get some if they stay solvent :slight_smile:

1 Like