Long term investing in Cryptos

yeah, sure, and I’m trying to catch up.

but trust me, from the outside it all looks like a giant pile of shit

https://drewdevault.com/2021/04/26/Cryptocurrency-is-a-disaster.html

2 Likes

Sure. The nature of complex things is that they’re rarely intuitive.

https://medium.com/@nic__carter/noahbjectivity-on-bitcoin-mining-2052226310cb

Yes these sources may be biased, but it doesn’t invalidate their arguments.

Hell, I am biased, I made a fortune with BTC, but I don’t think that the alternatives are looking so hot either.

Chacun a son gout.

Good luck,
A

BTC & ETH and other ALT coins can be staked too.

Whataboutism, straw man argumentation all that other attempts at greenwashing don’t make for particularly good - or “valid” - arguments. Neither does ignoring or outright denying reality.

Consuming more energy is a benefit to humanity (no, it’s not, it’s the product or service derived from it!). And sure, waste of resources is everywhere: some people are wasting too much mascara or like wrestling matches.

“Valid” arguments… my ass! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

But your argumentation is clearly flawless. Dunning-Kruger seems strong around here.

Not your keys, not your coins. My personal level of trust in centralized third parties in the crypto space is not high enough yet for that. Maybe I’m missing out on some yields but I’m also reducing risk (in an otherwise already quite risky environment) by not staking.

1 Like

IMHO, the risk mitigation is as for any other portfolio: Don’t put everything on one asset on one exchange. I have 50% of my crypto assets on a hardware wallet (the risk of loosing access to it is very low, but still there).
I don’t want to miss the yields on my ETH, BTC, DOT, KSM and others on BlockFi, Kraken or Binance. Even with USDC, USDT you can get up to 8% (but I don’t as I’m almost full invested in crypto).

Yes, agreed, but for me personally after 1400% return in the last 4 years I’ve decided I’ll skip the 8-10% and try to preserve the little peace of mind that’s left :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Right… at first I thought as well, why the hassle.
But on the other side, if BTC goes one day to 3 mio, from 0.01 BTC earned now and not spent = 580$ you’ll have 30k. It’s like the guy who bought pizza with BTC…

isn’t it roughly one order of magnitude off (assuming a very generous future where BTC fully replaces gold)?

You mean as where the transportation companies had to change from horses to something new: fuel engines? Yes.

300k is the price target for this halving cycle finishing in 2024. $3mio is more post 2032 halving if bitcoin succeeds to take away value from financial assets (bonds) and real estate.

Edit: we can probably merge this thread with “future of Bitcoin”

1 Like

Yeah! But if BTC goes to 3 Mio I’ll be at a point where anything under 500k won’t matter anymore :sweat_smile:.

I don’t think that’s credible though. S2Fx model seems currently quite possible though with an average of 288k and overshoot up to 500k. “Pessimistically” I think 100k are a given this year. But then again, we’re experiencing the monetization of a totally new asset class so who knows 🤷

well, as far as I understood, the whole FIRE movement here around is about optimizing the .05 chf. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m very curious about where that feeling comes from. We’re already in May and, as economies reopen, savings and investments, as well as stimulus rounds, should decrease. A fall to 10k- is a pessimistic/realistic scenario in my view, not a doubling of the price of BTC.

Edit:

Bonds and real estate? I can see the case for gold, I could see a case for stocks but why these two? Bonds exist because of a need of corporations/institutions for money, they’re designated in the money they’re paid with. Is the scenario that BTC will replace fiat for transactions between institutions? Same for real estate: it exists because people want a roof over their head, it’s not funnelled by a will of investors to retreat to safe assets, but by the demand for new real estate. Why should BTC overtake these asset classes specifically?

Bond and real estate are typical store of value. See how Chinese are purchasing real estate in Vancouver or Russian in London to escape their governments.

No idea if it is 1% or 10% of the market, but if you think about the difficulties linked to purchasing a house vs btc, I have no doubt bitcoin will take some value from these markets. And we are talking about trillions again.

Also, 100k this year seems a “when” and not an “if”. For this year I could see us above $160k

1 Like

A fall to 10k seems unlikely but agree that a fall to previous ATH of 20k is certainly a possibility. Just that I think that 100k are a lot more likely (and much closer to achieve on a log scale). Mostly that sentiment comes form a combination of strong personal bias, institutional investments, the stock-to-flow model, massive injection of M1 money supply due to COVID support packages, general trends of loss of trust in central institutions and digitalization, and performance comparisons from 2013 and 2017.
Still a very risky investment but having been invested in BTC since early 2017 I see the possibility of BTC having achieved “escape velocity” and the growing impact of network effects. As an asset it has passed the first test of time and frankly has performed flawlessly and very close to prediction for nearly 12 years. There’s no visible reason for that to change in the next 3-5 years, on the contrary, many of the trends and developments seem to support the case for BTC.

1 Like

Just to comapare the numbers a bit.

Market Cap Crypto global > 2,2 Trillion $
Market Cap Bonds (only US) > 40 T $
Market Cap Gold > 11 T $ (different sources between 9-14 T)
Market Cap Apple (biggest comany) > 2,2 T $

2 Likes

That literally went much quicker, than I did expect. Current ETH price is 3’200.

7 Likes

Still super happy with my portfolio performance :slight_smile:

6 Likes