Long term car rental (6 months)

Hi all,

I’m looking to rent a car temporarily for up to 6 months and trying to get a full picture of available options in CH.

Basic criteria: small car (e.g. Fiesta, Polo), gasoline/diesel (no electric), at least 90/100hp, mileage up to 1000km/month, must be able to travel to neighbouring countries (France, Italy, Austria), no downpayment (pure rental, no leasing).

So far I’ve identified the following providers:

• Carvolution: CHF647/month for a Seat Ibiza w/parking insurance, 1200km/month, legal protection, CHF1000 deductible
  • Europcar: CHF740/month for a Renault Clio w/basic insurance, 3500km/month, CHF1400 deductible (renting in GVA Airport French side w/corporate discount)
  • Hertz Mini-lease: CHF792/month for same category, no extra coverage, CHF1000 deductible
  • Toyota Rent: CHF850/month for a Toyota Yaris, 4000km/month, deductible and coverage unspecified.

Other options that I have discarded: Avis and Sixt both have long-term rental options but too expensive; last I checked Mobility offers single day packages but I believe not for long term rentals.

Any other options I am missing?

Thanks!

1 Like

They have a cooperation with Hertz: Click

You can borrow my car for 500/month if I can use it occasionally to go hiking :sweat_smile::grin:

Actually I was wondering if you’re asking for alternatives to long term renting, in which case more info regarding your use would be useful, or if you’re set on the solution and are just looking for alternative offers.
… Looks financially a bit like the worst of two worlds to me but very convenient.

I see sometimes cars from markovic car rental. First I saw it only in the area of solothurn, but in the last months I saw also cars in Basel an Zurich, I think you can get a good rate for 6 months. But probably the car would be older than a car from the big rental services.

I dont have any experience with the company though

Not sure if it is of help but I would check the insurance coverage in detail. Especially how much they charge you and what the deductibles are. The insurance coverage from the rental companies can be quite expensive. Alternatively, you may want to check your personal liability insurance and add a supplementary coverage. Again, you would need to check the terms and conditions in detail, particularly the duration of 6 months is often the maximum insurance companies would cover for rentals.

1 Like

This looks reasonable to me.
Not sure how much lower you can potentially get.

Markovic apparently offers Smarts for 300 per month. https://www.markovicag.ch/mietautos

Alternatives:

• You may find a private car that you can use while the owner is abroad.
  • In my region I see used car lots with oldish cars that cost between 2000 and 3000 CHF. Buy one and sell it after you’re done with it.
3 Likes

Thanks, have already requested a quote, let’s see if it’s more convenient.

“Renting” a private car, also consider the two following points:

2 Likes

Actually I was wondering if you’re asking for alternatives to long term renting, in which case more info regarding your use would be useful, or if you’re set on the solution and are just looking for alternative offers.
… Looks financially a bit like the worst of two worlds to me but very convenient.

Yes definitely not the best financial move, but with buying not an option and needing access to a vehicle on a recurrent and exclusive basis (basically every week) considerably restricts the options. Renting weekly is a hassle and probably not much cheaper. But I’m open to consider alternatives.

You can borrow my car for 500/month if I can use it occasionally to go hiking :sweat_smile::grin:

Which is why I won’t be able to take up on your generous offer, since it would defeat the whole idea of not sharing… :- D

Markovic apparently offers Smarts for 300 per month. https://www.markovicag.ch/mietautos

Thanks, rates are pretty good; however if I’m reading correctly they don’t allow border crossing.

• You may find a private car that you can use while the owner is abroad.

Is there any platform for that in CH? The one I know is Carify, but it’s mostly dealerships renting out unsold cars, and prices are comparable to other options.

• In my region I see used car lots with oldish cars that cost between 2000 and 3000 CHF. Buy one and sell it after you’re done with it.

Probably a better option financially but tbh quite inconvenient + transactions costs.

I was thinking more about finding someone through your network of friends and acquaintances.
But there are sites like GoMore or e2m.

TBH, I think you’re over optimizing. Just go through an established channel and pay 800-900 more over 6 months and enjoy your peace of mind.

Why not buying something like that and resell later? https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/vw-up-10-mpi-move-up-10999747

Or this: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/citroen-c1-vti-68-11383577 CHECK THE HORSEPOWER :joy::joy::joy:

:scream::pray: like the army jets: in three seconds through the whole of Switzerland! Ulysses will be from Geneva to anywhere in no time!

It will also be very easy to merge onto the highway… :blush:

Transactions costs of purchasing a vehicle and reselling it, however I haven’t made the full calculations to sustain the argument from a financial standpoint. Nonetheless sounds quite inconvenient (I know, I am asking for the perfect solution in an imperfect world…).

I’m not sure I’m allowed to drive that with my lame driving license LOL

Most definitely true. Just want to do my due diligence before deciding, but it looks there ain’t much better options. Still good to have some feedback to confirm the original hypothesis, thank you!

1 Like