List of mustachian ETFs / Funds

Nothing special.
90% of ETF allocation still in VTI+VEA+VWO and VIAC (Global mix).
I grabbed a bit of EMQQ, SLYV, ARKK, SSON and FEET on the side.

1 Like

I’m now 50% passive and 50% active. Portfolio is up 47% YTD (in CHF) which basically means my active part of the portfolio outperformed the passive one by >100%. I don’t think this can continue past 2020 though so I’m staying realistic and keeping my passive allocation in tact. The #1 ETF to hold in 2020 was ARKK.

2 Likes

which is basically: TSLA

1 Like

Not really. Tesla makes up only 11% of the fund. Certainly a big part - but more than just Tesla.
In fact, as a mid- to long-term holder you could still be quite happy with if Tesla went bust tomorrow.

What a lazy comment.
TSLA is 10% of ARKK and the ETF would do just as fine without it.
How about ARKG and ARKQ, no TSLA there.

This video from Ramin gives quite a good overview of that is included in ARKK as well as the other ARK* ETFs.

2 Likes

My etf turnover is certanly not ideal, but I have learned quite a bit about the research regarding factors and there have been some bigger changes in the market with Avantis and Dimensional offering etfs with factor exposure.

So in my portfolio I now use the core etfs from Dimensional for my US (DFAU) and international(DFAI) exposure. The emerging market is covered by Avantis emerging market fund(AVEM)

Those funds have a low factor tilt and make up 55% of my after tax equities.

For the US and international markets I use factor tilted etfs for 50% of the geographic exposure.

Avantis small cap value funds(AVUV, AVDV) that also select for profitability, conservative investment and momentum make up the majority of my factor tilted etfs.

When Dimensional converts its international value portfolio(DTMIX) to an etf, then I will add this to my portfolio as well.

For US large value I use a mix of funds that track the SP900 Value(IUSV) and SP500 enhanced value(SPVU) indicies.

interesting that you talk about avantis, dfa and value. specially since high frequency of posts about tesla, growth, qqq and the arkk, etc.

through last year i’ve been buying more and more into SLYV (US small cap value), RPV (US large cap value), and VEA. This month I’ll start buying AVDV. Also some EM funds, but still confused whether to buy AVEM alone (most likely) or VWO+DEM in 50:50 or VWO:DGS in 50:50.

I exchanged VIOV for AVUV last week. I’m more convinced by the aproach of avantis as they will also include other factors in their approach.

I don’t like funds that are based on pure value indecies because of the strict adherence to the metric. Value companies tend to have negative momentum exposure. Avantis will delay a buy until that negative momentum is gone or delay a sell until positive momentum is gone.

Emerging Markets is just a pretty small portion of the overall portfolio and I don’t like the outlook to “accidentally” capture value with dividend funds. There are plenty of value companies out there that don’t have a high dividend yield.

I understand wanting to shift into the more “active” ETF for the small value coverage.
But what is your reason to steer away from VTI and VEA towards DFAU and DFAI (will that small factor tilt do anything worthwhile)?

I suppose you got inspired by Ben and his crew? :slight_smile:

To be honest, it was my gut feeling. The core funds have a slight tilt that should give a slightly higher expected return than the market cap funds even after fees, while still capture the market factor reliably.

why not buy “quality” then instead of value?

Those are different factors.

Quality is not really clearly defined and I think there is less researched on it.

Dimensional and Avantis are very careful which factors they include. The 5 factor model is already able to explain most differences in return of funds.

Sorry to dig out this old post. I am also looking for an international value fund. I am currently holding mainly VYMI and rather prefer a pure value or even core equity ETF. I found VTRIX (fund though) and I am looking now at DFAI. However, I cannot find either on ICTax (ICTax - Income & Capital Taxes) Wont that be a problem when the tax declaration comes up? I live in ZH.

1 Like

Just write them a mail.

Not so long ago I asked them to add AVUS, AVDE and AVEM and a few days later they were available.

DFAI will only have s small value tilt. AVDE or AVDV have a much stronger tilt. I use AVDE and AVDV for my international ex US equity exposure.

1 Like

Like you, I’m looking for a value ETF excluding US, ideally combining developed and emerging. Thus, I really like VTRIX. Unfortunately, being non-US-based, we can’t buy it on IB. Have you found a suitable ETF alternative?

I just tried, and I have no problem buying VTRIX on IB.

Aren’t US mutual fund only for US citizens?

I thought so too, I didn’t go through with it but didn’t get any message.
Maybe it blocks at the last moment.

Judging by your name, you are Swiss-based as well (IB is UK, I presume)

When I try to buy VTRIX, it tells me that I need additional permissions. When try to request them, the only option I get under the “funds” section is “Non-US”. I have requested those (supposed to be processed within 24h) but I don’t think that will help as VTRIX is a US mutual fund.

All I could find on the forum so far were statements that non-US-based IB clients were not able to buy US mutual funds, hence my question (IB account setup - #3 by Peter)