List of mustachian ETFs / Funds

yes, I was also waiting for this. Although many of the other CS Index Funds come with higher costs then equivalent ETF’s. Here some links:

https://www.credit-suisse.com/media/am/docs/ch/index-solutions/prodlist-index-funds-retail-en.pdf

https://www.six-swiss-exchange.com/funds/sponsored_funds_en.html

I wonder if funds have lower their fees or the info I had were wrong.
The T.E.R on fund search provider are often wrong

Amazing list!

Here is mine:

S&P 500 (CSSPX)
MSCI USA Small Cap (CSUSS)
Technology S&P US Capped 20% (XLKS)
STOXX Europe 600 (SC0C)
MSCI Emerging Markets (CBMEM)
MSCI Pacific ex Japan (CSPXJ)

1 Like

iShares Core SPI (CH)
Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF
db x-trackers EURO STOXX 50 UCITS ETF (DR) 1D

Can any of these funds be bought within a Pillar 3a? I am looking to fund my Pillar 3a fund soon - if anybody has any lists that would be great. thx

@SwissChalet
no, almost none of them are available for 3a, sadly. Here i point out the swisscanto funds and the VZ depot, which currently are the most reasonable options in my opinion. the latter offers up to 80% stock ETF exposure with SLI, MSCI world, and a few more.

One that seems interesting and is not in the list is db x-trackers MSCI World Index UCITS ETF (DR) 1C: https://www.justetf.com/ch-en/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00B3XXRP09

T.E.R. of 0.19%, fund size of 1.450M $ and it is available on SIX.

Great list! Please change the “world” section and divide it in All- World (includ EM) like the FTSE all-world and in MSCI World which is actually only developed countries.

2 Likes

Maybe it would be better to create a Google Sheet with synthesized info regarding each ETF? I’ve built one for myself to make it easier to remember/calculate TER depending on which exchange I buy the ETF from:

Of course transaction costs depend on the broker, but people could link from their own Google Sheets to the data there to extract the data they are interested in.

Note: Transaction costs are assuming a buy and a sell in a 1-year period.

3 Likes

@pombeirp
I thought of this before since this forum does not allow for tables.
I can make one in the next days… or you can make one and share the link.

@nugget, I ended up doing a Google Sheet to discuss costs in another thread, and that document contains the list of ETFs (last sheet in the document): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BSQSwR_Dcv9pEsfSEm9LV7awHXedMaDVNWqHLMJIWWE/edit?usp=sharing

Up to you how you want to proceed next. I can give you write access, or you can use the data there as a starting point for a new document and post the link back here.

Hey @all,
here I’d like to create a data base for ETF data, taylored for us mustachians for helping us select the suitable funds. Mobius’ and my existing sheets will contribute :wink: and I hope i can motivate some of you to pick some funds and put together the info!

1. what funds would you like to have in there?
  2. what parameters would you like in there?

I start with:

Name
Ticker
Index
Domicile
TER
Total Witholding Ratio (via L1WT L2WT)
recent Dividend Yield (maybe 5 years avg?)

stock holdings

size (Asset under Management)
regional distribution - NA EU EM PAC (taken from vanguard factsheets)
size factor (see in the table what i mean)
style factor (see in the table what I mean)

Funds:
almost all of those I am interested in are already there :wink:

thanks for contributions!

2 Likes

Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (VWRL) is the core part of my portfolio. The TER is 0.25% which is reasonable, but I recently came up with a solution to reduce it.

Switching to Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets (VEVE, TER 0.18%) plus Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets (VFEM, TER 0.25%) in ratio of 90:10 will result in same market exposure, but effective TER of 0.187%.

Alternatively, similar combination would be available with MSCI tracking indexes.

ComStage MSCI World TRN UCITS ETF (CMBWR, TER 0.2%) plus Xtrackers MSCI Emerging Markets UCITS ETF 1C (XMME, TER 0.2%) for an effective total TER of 0.2%.

All mentioned ETFs trade on SIX in CHF, which is likely to suit most currently investing in VWRL.

2 Likes

Dear all,

Thanks for the interesting post. Did someone actually updated a database or a list? I would like to contribute :slight_smile:

I’m not sure this is even realistic nowadays. For US listed ETFs, basically all Vanguard ETFs are a viable choice and now Fidelity has even funds with 0.00% TER.

For Europe, there’s now quite a huge choice of ETFs within 0.05-0.09%. For MSCI World, there are at least 3 ETFs with lowish TER (0.12-0.19%) from Lyxor, HSBC and Xtrackers (also in CHF on SIX). The Ishares Emerging Markets IMI with 0.18% TER is as cheap as anything in the US and is probably the single best EM ETF as it includes small caps as well.

I find the only thing really missing in EU-listed ETFs are cheap developed world Small Cap ETFs. The SPDR MSCI World small cap (WOSC) has 0.45% TER (but is available in CHF on SIX), and the Ishares MSCI World small cap (WSML or IUSN) has 0.35% TER.

Actually considering all this, the popular VWRL is not such a good choice anymore due to high TER of 0.25% and high spreads. The same bad spread situation concerns the SIX-listed Vanguard VEVE, VEUR and VFEM.

3 Likes

That’s my impression as well. Vanguard is good for US listed ETFs, for Europe iShares and X-trackers seem better options.

3 Likes

Hi, Im a beginner and I am trying to read through as much as the forum as possible to learn how I should invest my savings. I read this thread “List of mustachian ETF’s/Funds” with interest to find out which funds I should consider. However, the post from glina concerns me (because I rate glina’s opinion highly after reading other posts on the forum); glina mentions:

So it leaves me wondering what exactly should I take away from this thread - is the list in the first post from nugget a good list or not? is there an updated list somewhere.

@glina is Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (VWRL) still the core part of my portfolio?

I thought that for ETFs the best strategy is to “buy and hold” - if “buy and hold” is the best strategy then how could nuggets list, which is less than 1 year old, suddenly not be realistic? Do you change which ETFs you own depending on market conditions?

Finally, a real beginner question, what is the difference between US listed ETFs and European listed ETFs, for an investor? which is the best option? what is the advantages/disadvantages of each?

This is very kind of you, thank you.

A complete list is not realistic (or at least difficult to make), because there are tens of low cost ETFs nowadays which are perfectly suitable for a Mustachian portfolio (i.e. low cost, liquid, following broad market indices).

The list from nugget is an excellent starting point and still valid.

VWRL via Corner Trader was my start to investing and I’m happy for it because it made me start in a simple, understandable way. If you feel intimidated by Interactive Brokers, then for all means start with a Swiss broker and start investing NOW.

You can always open a second brokerage account later on when you feel more confident. As discussed in another forum thread, this is probably a very good idea anyway to not hold all your eggs in one basket.

2 Likes

I strongly believe you should form a core portfolio with a minimal number of ETFs which will cover the broad investible market as close as possible, at low cost. VWRL (IE based) and VT (US based) are one stop shops for the beginner investor, but can be improved upon.

My short list for IE-based ETFs:
XDWL + IUSN (or WOSC) + EIMI
covers 100% of the MSCI ACWI IMI universe with a market cap weighted average TER of 0.2%

My short list for US-based ETFs:

Vanguard:
VTI + VEA + VWO
for weighted avg. TER of 0.06%

or
Ishares:
ITOT + IDVE + IEMG
for weighted avg. TER of 0.05%

Keep in mind that whichever way you go, the transaction costs of trading via a Swiss broker will likely be higher than any differences in TER.

There is also nothing wrong in looking for opportunities in countries/sectors or even single stocks which trade at a discount due to recent events. You have to know what you are doing, and why, or simply accept the fact that this is nothing but a bet. For example, buying VW at the depth of the diesel-scandal would return quite a nice profit (+70% as of today). As a contrary example, if you bought a Greece ETF at the depth of the finansial crisis in 2008, you’d lose an additional 80% as of today.

Mainly cost and tax on dividents. See this excellent post buy nugget:

3 Likes

Thanks so much glina!!!