Leasing a Tesla Model 3

A friend of mine did “preorder” it and payed around € 7k down payment (with the autopilot functionallity) to a Tesla seller in Madrid (Spain). But you are right, he expect the car available earliest in 2 years.

OK I see you CAN preorder it, but there even isn’t a full price and you only pay the 100 CHF. And it says the car is in US specs. So yeah, I think they will make a smaller truck for Europe. You don’t actually know what you’re preordering yet, there is no physical car.

What about the Tesla Roadster?

Seems like a pretty good deal? Anyone preordering that? :smiley:

1 Like

My friend holds TSLA shares. He said if the share price goes up to $7000, he will buy a Roadster :P.

2 Likes

Hmmm… that is an issue I hear shockingly often with newer generations of the Autopilot. My Model S still has the MobilEye developed Autopilot 1 and very very rarely (maybe once a month on my regular commute) does abrupt braking when driving close to a big non-flat (e.g. not regular transport truck) truck (e.g. the ones with the big bins on the back or flat-bed tailers, etc.) and usually only in tunnels.

3 Likes

A team mate of mine test drove a Model 3 Performance ~2 month ago. Immediately ordered a car after the test drive (even if he lived for 10+ years w/o a car in Zurich city). Then got it 2 weeks later and drove 600km in the first 4 days. Did a roadtrip to Italy, had some issue with a crack in the windshield, got an appointment to fix it on his way home in Geneva and ordered a Roadster right there in the store.
The guy is kind of FI so I guess he can afford it.

3 Likes

Damn, he sounds a lot like me. I’m in my mid-30s and only got my driver’s license recently, after 3rd attempt and spending over 4000 CHF. The goal was to drive a car on holidays, but… not just any car. Immediately after getting the license I borrowed a Model 3 and went to Austria for a week, made over 3000 km with it :sweat_smile: . Didn’t order a Roadster, but I’m dreaming about model Y…

4 Likes

Just came back today from 20 days family trip (first experience) with our S (85D) up (or down :slight_smile: ) to the southern part of Italy.

Took profit of an EnelX promotion (30 EUR flat for the whole month of July) + the fact that the Superchargers in Italy are still “free”, so basically 3’800 km costed 30 EUR of fuel.

It has been an interesting experience; the more south you go, the less Superchargers or other fast charging points you will find. Then either you have the possibility to charge during the night (which we could do only twice) or you use the slow charging points (11 kWh) during lunch/dinner time or e.g. city visits (with the plus that you do not pay for the parking lot).

All in all it was fun. It needs for sure some planning in advance (during the day, check on the app where the charging points are) but it was possible because the electromobility - in Italy - is still low and the charging points were always available (except once).
If/when this will change we’ll have to see hoe the development of the network keeps the pace…

1 Like

Same for me. Autopilot 1 is quite “gentle” and you get used to its behavior quickly.
The current autopilot (developed in house by Tesla) is supposed to have reached at least the AP1 level but I still keep reading this kind of feedbacks.

Didn’t drive one personally yet, though…

that’s low! In Austria I had the possibility to charge every night. Even a small hotel in a village had a power outlet with 11 kW! I was even privileged sometimes, like in Halstatt, which was overrun by tourists and the parking was full, but there was one available charging station, so not only could I park my car, but also charge it.

You mean 11 kW, or 11 kWh/h :slight_smile:

It’s a shame that it’s not 22 kWh, because the Type 2 chargers usually are able to provide that much. The maximum output of a “city” charger is 32 A * 230 V * 3 phases = 22 kW, but Model 3 can only take 16 A, not 32. Supposedly, it’s too expensive for Tesla.

The EnelX charging points (type 2) usually have a maximum power of 22 kW but in my MS I don’t have the “dual charger” option (which was available as an optional when the car has been built) therefore I am limited to “fill” 11 kWh

Yeah, I think it’s a matter of $ and probably they think that it’s not so useful (maybe it is in the US market indeed) but in Europe. would be very nice to be able to use the “slow” stations at their full power and divide the charging time by two…

I think 11 kW is good enough for home use. Fast enough to be fully charged overnight.

Yes, I fully agree with you, the wall connector we have installed is perfectly fine for the daily use.
We normally keep the battery between 20% and 80% therefore we load up to 60%. Our battery has a theoretical capacity of 85 kW, so to fill 60% (ca. 50 kW) it takes approx 4.5 h (perfectly fine overnight and taking profit of the cheaper hours, in TI 22:00 - 06:00)

But if you are on a trip (like in southern Italy) where you basically find only “slow” stations and - often - only 1 station per village, it would be really good to take profit of the full capacity so that you can fill more (and travel farther) and leave the station free for the next user sooner.

One the DC stations are more spread it will not be an issue anymore.

Of course Switzerland is a completely different business with charging stations nearly everywhere…

1 Like

Congrats for the new girlfriend!

What? Lol no, it’s the girl I met in April 2016.

Oh, my apologies then! It’s just that buying a Tesla for your girl while trying to be frugal sounds really committed. I’m happy to hear that your love is still fresh!

1 Like

Hey @Cortana I went through the hassle of comparing the 3 options. I’m already quite sleepy and tired, so maybe there are some mistakes, but my conclusion is:

• the 5y cost of ownership of a Model 3 is around 20’000 CHF
  • leasing comes out on top, with the cost only around 10’000 CHF
  • the worst option is operating leasing at 30’000 CHF

Please note that I am only counting the cost of financing, not charging, service etc.

I took the following assumptions:

• car value depreciation of 4.30% per 10’000 km (based on Model S)
  • annual stock market return of 6% (alternative cost)
2 Likes

When looking for electric car use “A better route planer”
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

I’ve looked at Zurich-Fribourg (153 km, autobahn) doing 120 km/h in winter (-5 °C) with 37 km/h headwind, on the snowy road, with a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range+ with a battery degraded 10%

Still could do it (from SoC 90% down to 13%):

And I would argue you would get more because no sane persone drives 120 km/h with 40 km/h headwind in winter on snowy road. Most probably around 100 km/h only because of other carefu driver on the road - and that would give you more range.

I don’t think that translate to “worry all the time”

1 Like

I updated the spreadsheet to the discounted cashflow model. I also added perceived utility from driving the car, so you can not only decide which option is the best, but also if either of them is of an added value to you. So if the present value (yellow) is negative, you should not go for that option.

2 Likes

Rejoice, Elon has thought of you:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1290546456030576641