Keeping the B permit while working for a Swiss company outside of Europe

Hello, I would be happy for comments to the below questions.
I, as a non-European nationality, work for a Swiss company and now have a B permit. For personal reasons, I would like to leave Switzerland for two years, but I am still willing to pay my taxes, social security and even health insurance in Switzerland during these two years. I can also travel to Switzerland for almost 12 weeks in a year. Can I still keep my B permit or will it expire anyway?
Thanks for any comments in advance.

B permit expires automatically after 6 months outside of Switzerland.

Well the renewal of your B permit happen during this 2 years or after !
To maintain a primary residence in Switzerland, you will need to spend 181 days in Switzerland.

B permit is issued for certain reasons. Once reason cease to exit, the permit is also rescinded.
So as soon as you deregister from your address, your B permit will be revoked.

Typical reasons -: Family unification (typically granted to dependent spouse, family or partner), Work, Study ,etc.

You said, you are willing to pay taxes. Does it mean you will still have a job in Switzerland after leaving Switzerland? Then most likely you need to talk to Gemeinde.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, when I am out of Switzerland, I still have an employment contract with the Swiss company and also keep my residential address in Switzerland and also willing to pay the taxes and social costs. But for personal reasons, I cannot stay in Switzerland for the whole year (I will only be in Switzerland for 3 months per year). Now I am wondering how this would affect my residence permit!

Does the company know you’re doing that, you might need a local contract for your new place of residence (countries usually require local contract so that employer and employee contributions are properly done). (And yes generally no longer being employed in Switzerland means losing permit, maybe wait until you get C permit which has more possibilities for pausing it)

1 Like

I understand your concerns. I think it would be best to talk to your Gemeinde.

If your employer is willing to let you work from remote, there might be some sort of solution.

Normally for B permit holders it you are out of country for more than certain period , you need to inform the townhall. They will find out anyways.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes the company know about my situation and they are also willing for such remote working. However, I would like to find a way to keep still my B permit during this two year, then I can apply for my C permit.

Thanks. The company know about my situation and they are also willing for such remote working. However, I would like to find a way to keep still my B permit during this two years. After this time, I would like to apply for my C permit.

Great. As said please talk to townhall. They can recommend. This definitely needs some paperwork

Is this as posted worker? Posted workers

Or with a new local contract?

By the way don’t think Gemeinde can do anything here, should be a question for the Migrationsamt.

1 Like