Jahresarbeitszeit

I’ve been looking for a new job recently and have gotten a new preliminary offer recently. The boss wants me to work under the “Jahresarbeitszeit”-Modell since some of our work is seasonal (there is work year round, but winter months f.e. are far busier).

What are your experiences with that? From what I’ve read this seems to be a better deal for the employer than the employee but maybe I’m missing something. Any employers who employ people under Jahresarbeitszeit please contribute too!

If you need more information I’m happy to provide it! I just didn’t want to overwhelm with lots of text.

EDIT: Moved the discussion from “Other” to “Coffee”

1 Like

it probably boils down to: Are you ok working possibly some week-end in winter and have more holiday in summer?

The downside is you are not payed extra for overtime or maybe even week-end works…

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the answer!

I’ve been working some weekends for a couple of years now, so this is not bothering me too much.

What I’m worried about is having no say in when the overtime is, or worse, when the compensatory free days are. The fragmented schedule I’ve been living under for the past years is a bane of my existence :slight_smile: I’d rather work 5 days and have 2 days off than work 3, 1 off, and another 2.

I’m mainly asking this question to see what other peoples experiences are and to see what I should ask for in the next interview regarding this type of schedule.

I thought about:

• minimum hours and maximum hours? is there a maximum of overtime yearly?
  • how much say I have in the matter?
  • how far in advance is the schedule set?

Any other ideas?

I used to be on ‘Jahresarbeitszeit’ at a previous employer and ended up liking the flexibility it afforded. It was not uncommon for people to slowly save up some time, which then was used as a extra week vacation in summer. It was rare in my department for people to be forced to take off at a certain time, but your mileage may vary.

If you like the job being offered and have a good working relationship with the boss it should work out just fine. The time model probably comes with the standard package on offer, the real negotiable part being only the salary. Here you might bargain a little if you explain that compared to your old job you loose out on overtime payment, if they could bump up your base salary instead? Also some feedback on personal flexibility vs. mandated time off, at least in normal pre-Covid business operations, would be a fair question.

1 Like

Hey,

I got the same questions few days ago, because I had a proposition for a new job and for the first time with an annualized working time.

I’m not sure if it’s good for the employee, unless you want some more holidays. I think the maximum hours depend on your kind of job.

For me, the contract proposed to me is not satisfying : working time 80% but paid 60%, 5 holidays weeks + 2 or 3 extra weeks off for the overtime. It’s only on the advantage of the employer, not free to choose your weeks off and have to work a lot during 3 days but paid less…