Is this car insurance "hack" common knowledge?

I pushed my car insurance to the limits few months ago. I called 5 car insurance brokers to get an offer from each one of them with exactly same conditions. Then I contacted 2 of them which I really wanted (because of their good reputation) and presented them offers which were much cheaper than theirs. One of them went 10% under the best offer of the 5 from the beginning.

I hope this helps someone.

7 Likes

Yeah personal contact often works that way. I negotiated my car insurance down by 900.- (from 2.3k to 1.4k) by doing the same

Also works for mortgages, just ask around and eventually you know someone at a bank and bam. 0.15% lower than the competitors offer.

Propping up this topic because I may have to use it shortly. Am I the only one who had his car insurer (Helvetia) practice a 20% Inflation increase in their premium, this year?

Interesting. :open_mouth:
Mine remained the same to the rappen (Axa).

1 Like

Same, with Axa as well.
But Axa is on the higher end, maybe it‘s goodwill? :smiley:

Worth the money with the time spent? How much? What is the car, the coverage and the premium paid?

Liability only, going from CHF 426.20 to 517.80.

I don’t intend to go through negociation rounds but am pondering just shopping around, asking for a few quotes and seeing if there’s one suitable enough to warrant a change. I may wait a year or two since other providers may apply raises in the following years.

2023 was the last year of my car and scooter contracts with AXA. I sent my current contracts minus the first page with the premium to competitors. I asked them to provide an offer for the exact same contract terms. Some of them didn’t answer at all but here are the results:

AXA Zurich MobiliĂšre Helvetia Vaudoise
Scooter 402 153 241 322 262
Cars 1312 941 1168 693 1168
Total 1714 1094 1338.55 1015 1430
Bonus 70.45
Gains p.a 0 620 375.45 699 284 Max potential gains 868

Next year I’m going with Zurich. My choice was a combination of gains, simplicity and reputation

2 Likes

Wow that’s a lot of delta!
I guess it depends on your nationality / canton / whatever other params.

For me - Elvia (Allianz), Zurich, Helvetia - all are either same or more expensive than AXA for the same coverage (Zurich actually the highest :grin:).
At least through their online calculators.

Did you send emails to a general “info@insurance.ch”, or some other more direct contact?
I might try the same to see if there’s any difference to their online calculators.

If you go through comparis and get offers sent, you end up in very same calculator but different, lower values. That’s my experience at least. I’d use that as starting point which gets you direct contact to the rep/agent in your area for further ‘discussion’.

An extra hack:
If you’re a member of the Swiss university organization (fh-schweiz), or even a member of the landowners’ association, you still get a discount at Zurich Insurance. Maybe worth checking if member of one of those association.

2 Likes

I didn’t have any specific contact so yes, I used the general email address. Owning two cars with one set of plates, I couldn’t use their online calculator.

Honestly, these discounts arent worth much. I would even bet that I can get a better rate without mentioning any of these memberships

They’re certainly not significant, but for someone at Zurich Insurance who meets the criteria mentioned, they’re always good to go.

Same here. Up until now every time I got insurance I insisted on a yearly contract (most of the time I got 5 years contracts). Not sure if I should still do that, since prices seem to be going up and up and up.

I insist on 5 year contracts with a yearly right of termination.

They won’t offer that to you without you asking, and they don’t like to do it, but they can do it (at least Axa can).