Is Swiss real estate expensive or cheap?

Let’s assume your property is worth 1000k today. You invested 200k of your 2nd pillar and you have a 500k mortgage. Increasing the mortgage to 670k would work without the need for amortizations. You can always increase your morgage to 2/3 of the value and pay it out cash on your account.

Just one exception: if not at least 10% is covered in non-2nd pillar assets.

1 Like

Update on this: The regular rate was with Migrosbank 10 years for 1.17%. But I tried to negotiations and they gave me a rate of 0,95% for 10 years - which just blow my mind and was not expected at all. Reason was that they wanted to intense the business relationship (but no written restrictions nor commitments from my side needed). Happy Days!

7 Likes

Anyone still tracking the Swiss real estate market? Now that we’re close to half year into this pandemic, have you noticed any significant changes in prices lately?

2 Likes

Ladies and Gents, first post here :slight_smile: just after having found the site and read through most real estate topics. What do you think in investing in a buy-to-let, respectively which taxation options do I need to count with?
My constraints:

• currently I don’t really want to live in the properties I could afford (1.0-1.2M)
  • I can’t change our place as my 10 years for the pass are about to expire pretty soon
  • I find quite some new-ish apartments in seemingly good locations that I’m sure will rent relatively quickly that would then reimburse my current rent

How do you calculate buy-to-let properties? Do you need to account for the Eigenmietwert even if you are renting it out? Would large-scale developers usually have a property management option as well if one doesn’t want to bother with the tenants (as in: fire-and-forget investments like Crowdhouse)?

2 Likes

For direct investments, nothing really changed. One factor is that they stopped the auctions.

For indirect investments, there was a lot of opportunities (even in late june), but it is over.

2 Likes

No. But you do pay taxes on the rent obviously

No, you have to hire your own property management company.

No. But you do pay taxes on the rent obviously

You mean on the profits of the rent (minus mortgage, minus all costs), right? Like a secondary income. If I need to account for the whole rent that sounds like a massive no-no.

Yes, you can deduct your mortgage’s interests and renovation costs (or a fixed percentage of rent instead of the actual renovations costs).

1 Like

I think investing in buy-to-let properties is another case where having your own company makes sense since the tax rate would be steeper due to progression if you add the rent income to your own tax declaration. If you only need to declare the tax of the rented out property the tax rate should be lower as you’re not in the 100k+ bracket.

1 Like

Highly recommended, even for small scale. It costs around 5% of rents, but makes your life much better!..

I’m sorry that it’s 20min, but useful anyway. Prices went up 1% in the first 6 months.

2 Likes

Interesting article. Only the title (and first sentence) are awkward… It should be “Preise für Wohneigentum steigen dank Corona”…

Also there is the not official Swiss Real Estate Offer Index from Immoscout24 which confimes the numbers. As probably most buy/sells or rental offers goes through that platform, they have the big data behind to calculate a real estate index in realtime.

https://www.immoscout24.ch/de/immobilienindex

1 Like

Hi guys,

I think that Video could be interesting for a lot of people.

The title is a bit clickbait, but that mathematician has some interesting points to made. It is for the German Housing market and of course you would have to check how much it would correlates to the Swiss market, but from my little experience, it should make sense.

Summed up :

• High regional disparity in the housing market because of internal migration towards the city where work and the education is, with a high risk of basic infrastructure disappearing in the countryside, and housing becoming unsellable and empty. Basically you can directly correlate the amount of inhabitants leaving with the amount of people doing higher education.
  • Right now, a lot of Family friendly housing is blocked by the high birth rates years (aka boomers), who are not downsizing their housing after the kids move out.
  • Once this people will die, there will be too much housing in the market, especially in already structural weak regions. But most probably also in today high demand cities.

Therefore, housing in already cheap regions on the countryside (Thinking of regions in Aargau, Jura, and of course the whole mountainside area) is actually still overpriced, even if it is already cheap.
Also, city housing like Zurich and other high demand areas will probably see a drop in price.

Hope you find the video interesting.

9 Likes

Interesting.
If the COVID is a eyes opener for remote work.
This could have an influence on real estate. After lockoff, we agreed with my boss to go once a week to the office. I have no issue once per week to spend few hours in the train on 1 day. I could live in the countryside in a nice house in nature for the price of a flat in Zurich.

10 Likes

Won’t change the fact that :

• Basically in 20 y there might be a big Price drop in RE because all the Boomers are disappearing, freeing up a lot of Real Estate
  • Corona / Autonomous cars might just cancel out part of the dicrepency Metropolitan area/structural weak area, but not totally (you still would like to have acces to culture/Schools etc.).

@ProvidentRetriever : Problem is if your RE becomes unsellable/drops a lot in value/rent becomes unsustainable, since diversification in RE is difficult

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I mentioned these exact points somewhere in this forum already. I also think that due to home office and autonomous cars remote locations will become more attractive. Yes, traffic jams could be a problem, but that’s where the boring company steps in with the tunnels :wink:

Yes, for sure! People who love to live in Zurich will not move out. But people, who don’t need instant access to these services, will consider. I see two possible groups that could be interested:

1. elderly/retired: you enjoy peace and quiet, but you don’t want to rely on your driving skills, because you don’t know how long you will be able to drive by yourself (bad eyesight, reaction time etc).
  2. office workers: you value your time, that’s why you lived close to your office in the center of a big city. but now the car drives itself and you can make phone calls or check the laptop on the way from/to work, so now you can live in a house outside the city and commute + use home office.

I want to stress: the effect will probably be small and will take many years to become noticeable.

3 Likes

Bojack : from the elderly perspective, there is still a need of doctors, supermarkets etc.

In the Video they speak about the example in France, and it happens that my grandfather lives in this kind of left-behind region,

Means :
15 km to the next small town
at least 50 km for the next Hospital, doctors are closer, but not much
10 km for the next Supermarket.

So the Problem is a lot of car usage (meaning Energy, btw some Researchers are “afraid” of the effect of autonomous driving will have that people will accept even longer ways to get to work)

Anyway, main point of the Video is that RE is a risky business, since a lot of need will simply disappear from the market.

1 Like

I watched the video. It’s a bit long for the content it conveys, but nevertheless it was nice to watch. The guest is a calm guy, who is not quick to call doomsday scenarios, but looks at science.

What my take from his video is: places with cheaper price will see even cheaper prices, as young people move out and old people die out. For urban centres it’s hard to predict. These are the places, where prices are blown to the extreme. But that’s where people find jobs and services.

Maybe teleworking + autonomous vehicles will save these remote areas from total desertion. At some point, you don’t want to live in a small flat in a high rise building, when you could have a house with a garden for the same price.

3 Likes

The video is quite interesting.

I’m wondering if the regional disparity could ever grow incredibly large in Switzerland. Switzerland is much denser and much better connected than almost any country in the world.
In the US “moving close to work” can mean reducing your commute time to 1h. If swiss workers accepted a 1h commute, this would cover almost all of Switzerland. Doesn’t this imply that a huge drop of housing prices in certain regions is unlikely?

3 Likes