Is 4% SWR really safe?

Hello Ladies & Gents,

We have already a thread about the applicability of 4% rule in Switzerland. However, I’m opening a new thread as I discovered more general problem with the rule itself.

Although it’s recommended by 99% of financial advisors and FI rockstars (e.g. MMM, JLCollins), I started doing some research on that rule (William Bengen’s papers, Trinity Study, etc) and I came across a reddit thread that mentioned a critique of that rule by William F. Sharpe (an economic Nobel prize winner who figured out CAPM and Sharpe ratio):

In the blog posts he mentions a paper proposing alternative solution to 4% rule. I don’t have access to it, but here you can read the abstract:

“The floor-leverage rule is a spending and investment strategy designed for retirees who can tolerate investment risk but insist on sustainable spending. The rule calls for purchasing a spending guarantee with 85% of wealth and investing the remaining 15% in equities with 3× leverage. Surprisingly, this leverage is a tool for managing risk. The authors compare the rule with some popular strategies, illustrate it for a variety of retiree preferences, and evaluate its historical performance.”

I don’t understand much of that critique and I guess I need a free weekend to analyse it more carefully. I’m curious about your opinions about the rule.

It seems like common sense that 4% cannot be fixed rule - if during the year of the crash my $1M portfolio becomes a $0.5M, my 4% rule generates $20k, instead of $40k, and that might be not enough for living. And even if it were enough for a living - spending such huge chunk of your portfolio during recession years seems to be a solution far from optimal.

1 Like

Hi 1M

thanks for bringing up this topic again. Since my original post about the applicability of the 4% rule I did some more research and without citing sources, my current opinion is that the 4% rule:

• Is NOT safe
  • Makes not much sense as a WR
  • Is based on insufficient data (Trinity Study).

However, I see it as a good rule of thumb to get an estimate of how much money (invested in stocks/bonds) you need to reach FI.

My go-to resource regarding SWR ideas pointed out to me by @nugget is:

3 Likes

Hi @ElMago,

Thanks for you feedback. I’m glad that I’m not the only one skeptical about the 4% rule in the forum. I’d be really happy to learn about some simple alternatives, but I’m afraid the alternatives won’t be simple to apply.

PS. I really strongly recommend everyone to listen to the podcast interview:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-06/william-sharpe-on-pricing-and-risk

This guy is really brilliant. He’s one of the persons standing behind academic research that inspired creators of passive index funds.

Thanks for the recommendation, @1000000CHF! I only understood about half of what they were talking about, but the rest was very interesting. I’d like to find the time to look into his RISMAT software…

1 Like

I just had a deep reading into the series from ERN. I like the 60Y model
I haven’t downloaded the Excel (Google DOCS) sheets but definitely is a must.

We’re close to ER (2019) so I’m starting to read more about this topic and putting in place a Withoughal strategy.
Since we’ll be moving to LAM I need to estimate and simulate a dramatic scenario with high inflations rate and currency exchange scenarios.

Has any of you started to model some scenarios in Excel?

By reading and partipating to this forum, you confirm you have read and agree with the disclaimer presented on http://www.mustachianpost.com/
En lisant et participant à ce forum, vous confirmez avoir lu et être d'accord avec l'avis de dégagement de responsabilité présenté sur http://www.mustachianpost.com/fr/