Investment and Net Worth Tracking

Hello. I am wondering what people use to track net worth and investments? I know Personal Capital is the favourite tracker in the US but if you aren’t American (with a US cell phone to validate your account), you can’t sign up. Additionally there are no links to any non-US accounts/banks/brokerages. I am an ex-pat with investments in 4 countries so would be keen to find something appropriate although realise that i’d most likely have to enter everything in manually - once.
thanks!

You might not like the answer, but excel does a pretty good job. for getting started, check out Mr.RIP’s sheet for tracking his net worth. Well, you would have to collect all your data every [desired time period] . I would not know of any software that i would trust access to my broker/bank accounts for automated net worth data collection.

I share your point of view Nugget, Excel does a great job. You can customize your sheets and display information in charts, cheese graph, etc…

I still hope that someday Mint or Personal Capital will issue a version for swiss users but let’s be realistic, we will have to wait a few years…

Using beancount to track my finances (after using gnucash and then ledger-cli at first for a while). Nothing beats a proper old fashioned double-entry bookkeeping system. Very scriptable/hackable and handles multiple currencies like a breeze.

Regarding Mint and Personal Capital - are these the types of sites who ask for your bank and brokerage passwords? Call me paranoid, but there’s no chance in hell I’m giving out such sensitive passwords to a third party, no matter how fancy their website is. I’ve worked enough in IT to see how risky this can turn out to be.

Hi,
I’ve used gnucash for several years but then switched to moneydance. I’m also a fan of the double-entry system and both those tools gave me that. Never tried automatically pulling security prices in gnucash however moneydance works like a charm.

thanks all. Personal Capital is promoted by all the US financial bloggers, they have 1.3m users and more security apparently than the brokerages so i was willing to give it a try. They have partnered with the banks and brokerage houses. Anyway i’ll keep plugging away with Excel for now as usual.

more security apparently than the brokerages

I seriously doubt that, otherwise they should not put bullshit like the following in their AGBs:

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE LIABILITY OF PERSONAL CAPITAL, ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSORS AND AGENTS TO YOU SHALL NOT EXCEED ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100).

Is the value of your investments $100? Cause that’s the most they guarantee you’ll be getting if they screw up big time and your money disappears in some offshore with little trace. You might not even get as a much as $100 if the company goes bankrupt at the same time. Banks/brokers will wash their hands off and not compensate anything to you, because you acted highly irresponsible when giving your passwords to a third party and were not supposed to do that. They’ll have no way of knowing if this was you sending money to your offshore or some hacker or insider…

Personal Capital is promoted by all the US financial bloggers

Probably same thing you could say about Lehman Brothers before 2008… Don’t go blindly with the crowd, use your brain.