Investing with neon? Neon invest

I guess Invesco is sponsoring at least part of that offer to promote their new and still small ETF. I can certainly imagine that they will extend that offer but I wouldn’t count on it remaining free forever.

2 Likes

I’d say to attract classic neon customers to use their investment platform and thus enable these users to take the investment plunge (and attract neophytes in particular). The fact of making a service free for X amount of time motivates some people who might be undecided or in a FOMO frame of mind).

Secondly, I’d also say that it will enable these same users to discover neon invest and bet on other products (Apple shares, Telsa, etc.).

If they keep it free, it will indeed be interesting!

May be, but what’s the point of charging fees and then reimbursing them immediately?
Why not simply say they are 0? :sweat_smile:

I assume that they cannot due it technically. But 0 fees is 0 fees

I interpret “Zum Start unserer Partnerschaft” as “we will not charge fees in the beginning to advertise our partnership and then we’ll start charging at one point”.

0% promotions on funds are quite common at German brokers, especially on their ETF recurring investment plans. Sometimes they’re extended, sometimes withdrawn, or funds rotated in or out.

As far as I know they are sponsored by issuers. But usually don’t last forever.

The whole point behind integrating a broker into Neon was to find another revenue stream to finally reach profitability. Unlimited 0 fees ETF don’t fit into this strategic direction, but as a marketing gimmick, it may make sense to do that for a while.

1 Like

But if you see there are plenty of ETFs where you pay commission. So it is a Bit like the German brokers where certain ETFs are commission free

How many times did neon to pick up capital from investors the past three years? 2-3 times? In any case, the Swiss market is a lot smaller than Germany and the brokers are working from a bigger pond.

Don’t misunderstand me: I’d love for neon to continue this; I just fear the economics behind it will put an end to it.

Even if there is a commission and it is higher than IBKR, the one time fee is not that much overall. If you plan to buy and hold it is much lower than what you would pay with a custody fee and high TER. It is almost negligible in the end.

Another thing that pleasantly surprised me: you can transfer your assets to another broker for a fee of CHF 100. So if neon would go out of business, or you had an ETF worth 200k and wanted to sell all of it and avoid paying CHF 100, you could transfer it to Swissquote, and in the case of the second example sell it for CHF 9 instead of CHF 1000.

Would anyone know if they plan to sponsor more ETFs than FTSE All World and MSCI World?

I can’t imagine them doing so. Fees are how they make money. Right now it’s to get more people to use neon for investing.

It’s likely that Invesco pays (at least a part of) the 0.5% to Hypothekarbank Lenzburg to get their new FTSE All-World ETFs off the ground.

neon has extended their zero fee offer for the two Invesco funds to end of March '24 and extended it with three additional fund (EM, biotech, clean energy).

Hi,
I just received the email from Neon about the extension of the 0% ETFs with Invesco :partying_face:

Just a side note:

• Neon invest on the Bern Stock Exchange: the spread might be different than at SIX
  • Neon is not responsible for the FX of dividends. Since you don’t have an USD/EUR account with them, if you get dividends, they will be exchanged in CHF by their mother-bank (HL) with 1.5% fee.

Correct, which is why I would use accumulating ETFs.

Spreads are exactly the same as SIX as they are mirrored by Lang & Schwarz. I trade since the start and did compare the spreads.
And I would always trade the accumulated shareclass

Well, they just announced an ETF savings plan and will waive transaction fees for both Invesco world ETFs (FTSE All-World and MSCI World ESG) bought through that after their 0% fee promotion runs out at the end of the month.

2 Likes