Investing in Uranium

Here and there I see opinions that Uranium has just changed its long-term trend, so I think about investing a bit through some ETF. Is anyone doing it already? If yes, which ETF you have chosen and why?

The same could be said about Silver, no?

I hope so, because I’m invested there since ~May 2020 (through ZSIL). Plus - looking from technical analysis perspective, potential for uranium looks higher at this point. Hence my question about best ETF. I guess the best idea is to go with ETF backed by physical uranium. Sprott?

1 Like

Yes, I invested in UEC (went well in the last weeks). Alone in China there are building >50 (!!) reactors. I think the transition to green will take a bit longer than expected.

P.S: I also was invested last year in Palladium (ZPAL) that also seems to suffer a trend-change now. There I am less optimistic as 80% of Palladium is used in catalytic converters.

Cheers

1 Like

Yes. But only according to my own IPS :wink:

I found URNM a very good low maintenance ETF with relatively high exposure to miners as URA got a bit diluted over the years.

Another good vehicle could be the Sprott Physical Uranium Trust but that one did not exist when I first looked into this market.

What’s your strategy to get exposure to uranium? I feel the narrative is quite strong for the upcoming years.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t have any strategy, it would be rather buy now and sell in few months, if it goes hopefully up ;).

Maybe you red too much on reddit about Uranium :slight_smile:

If you don‘t have a strategy, I would stay away from it
 or do more research why it would be a good investment. Also, you should consider what the fair price of Uranium would be so you can define your entry and exit points.

My personal opinion is that I don‘t invest in non-productive assets - including Uranium.

1 Like

This commodity investment are often based on uranium futures and same as oil (WTI) will be impacted by the contango effect
https://forum.frontaliers.io/search?q=Abandon%20poste

1 Like

I feel you! Read up! You must understand the narrative of the market before you invest. Some pointers to deep dive:

• Understand Supply: What’s produced, what mines are active, what future mines are planned, etc.
  • Understand Demand: What’s currently used, what reactors are planned, what’s the narrative regarding CO2 neutral energy, how much electricity will be produced by other means, etc.
  • Understand Market Players: Who’s buying, who’s selling
  • Understand Reserves: Above ground, below ground

If you understand those factors you will see that your time horizon must be longer term than a few months. It’s not bitcoin and not GME :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for all the comments. To be honest I don’t have time and willingness to spent too much time on it. This means that I would rather invest the amount I can forget about it for long time if it goes wrong. :wink:

1 Like

Lol I did exactly that and checking the uranium guy posts.
I put something in UUUU

Since last year it seems to be an amazingly good “strategy”. Very bizarre times we live in.

Uranium broke out earlier this year:

I’ve been invested in Uranium since 2019 in a mix of: KAP, YCA, CCJ and U.UN. Though recently I sold all and re-invested only in KAP.

1 Like

anyone seriously interested in some backgrounds on the supply & demand side:

The Red Book is your first source

2 Likes

Just sold some days ago DNN on the deviation

NLR etf is great for the exposure on mining and usage of uranium in nuclear energy

I’m not a big fan of Uranium ETFs as they can potentially contain too much trash.

There are so few decent companies, it is simple to invest in them directly.

For miners there’s really only Cameco and Kazatomprom (together with a few smaller players you could count on one hand) plus dozens of scammy mining companies popping up with zero production and lots of glossy brochures.

You also have funds holding Uranium directly such as Sprott and Yellow Cake PLC. More are now cropping up as people sense blood in the water as supply tightens.