Investing for teenagers

My 14, soon to be 15 y/o nephew is interested in stocks, investments & savings. He’s played with some demo Forex accounts and wants to give it a try with real money.

1. Is it legal for someone his age to be trading stocks & ETFs in CH?
  2. Are there any brokers that allow underage teenagers to signup? He’s into eToro since they offer demo accounts.
  3. Could you recommend a bank account with a free bank account & a free debit card? He obviously doesn’t have income (other than pocket money, gifts & occasional eBay sales) and doesn’t want to spend tens of CHF for bank accounts & brokers. From my understanding this is not something that Neon & Cler Zak offer so he needs to look into mainstream banks.
  4. Are there any implications I’m missing? (taxes, etc?)

Thank you!

2 Likes

No. Art. 17 and 19 CC/ZGB.

Where does he live ? Lots of banks are not everywhere.

All his assets and transactions are to be added to his parents tax declaration. If he was working, I think he could/should have his own tax declaration.

I wouldnt do it for tax reasons, especially if you are still included in your parents taxes…

One thing a lot of traders dont get is that afaik you have to list every movement in your Wertschriftenverzeichnis if you want to fill out your taxes correctly

Excuse my missing `if i use it with an s it changes the layout. (Teach me! have a qwertz)

Afaik Revolut has a product for teenagers “Revolut Junior” besides the one time cost for the debit card there are no additional costs. Neon & Zak are for free too and should be able to open an account with his parents approval.

That seems unfortunate. Thanks for the reference!

:+1:t2:

Great, thanks for the reminder. His parents don’t have it but I guess it’s up to him to work on that.

Neon allows accounts from 16, Cler ZAK from 15.

Interesting. Revolut Junior seems to be from 7 to 17, so that one would work.

By reading and partipating to this forum, you confirm you have read and agree with the disclaimer presented on http://www.mustachianpost.com/
En lisant et participant à ce forum, vous confirmez avoir lu et être d'accord avec l'avis de dégagement de responsabilité présenté sur http://www.mustachianpost.com/fr/