Interactive Brokers summary and costs

They do not use the same index. Of course you can compare but if you look into the past this 0.35% is not a given. Sometimes vwrl does better! Securities lending (also active decisions of managers) has way bigger impact

I edited again my post, but I start to feel the need of a wiki, since all this back and forth sometimes doesn’t lead to a precise answer.

Boggleheads forum has a wiki where you could put this up if you want

I’ve tried once but they banned me on account of my username

Their loss

I think the threads are interesting as they show the way we ended up with the conclusions. There are actually multiple Threads considering the current problem but they have not been active for a while.

I’d prefer threads linked to a definitive answer. I do sometimes mix up words and get corrected and this happens to other people as well. Sometimes there are questions that get mixed in the same thread and all this could be problematic especially for people that are not experts on the field and/or not native speakers.

I could put up a wiki in minutes, but I suppose it would be better if it’s hosted on this domain. Nugget’s google sheet could be transformed in a dynamic way to calculate costs, but we should also 100% agree on it’s correctness :slight_smile:

i know what you mean, and it made me put up this guidepost of the forum and its underlying guides/threads. however, the forum structure limits the way we can organize it’s content in a way that you would find it.

bluntly speaking 90% of that was written in this forum is lost to outside users because you cannot browse for it efficiently. for example this thread: hardly anyone is going to start at the top and read all the way down here. there is no summary of the findings in this thread…

Please note that we are currently working on a way of making the forum more readable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice, but they are still posts to read and sometimes can get confusing.
(tiny example of confusion: sometime (on this thread as well) people talk about 0.x% of your wealth.Tax deductions are usually on the gains so what is not said is that the 0.x% is calculated from a “standard” gain of 2% for example).

A wiki with some calculation tools would be nice.

What username did you use, that they banned you?

For the record, I think this forum engine kicks ass. I have never used a more modern and friendly one. The quoting mechanism, the editor, it’s really great.

covfefe, perfectly normal and possibly the greatest username there is! I really don’t understand what was their problem and too lazy to ask. Maybe it was envy

Small forums and communities tend to come and go. If you want to preserve the knowledge i do suggest sticking to boggleheads wiki, they are the biggest of this kind. Just too bad they don’t have regional subforums that’s all

4 Likes

I was about to say it. 100% agree. I even spent some time trying to understand which software runs it. :joy:

Well I just had a look at the source code and saw that it uses Ember.JS. Then a bit of googling and voila:

2 Likes

Cool!
Btw I’ve found this on their site:

1 Like

haha yes some of my longer guides are such wiki posts :slight_smile:

I am happy you like this forum, but please keep this thread to its initial topic. If needed there is a dedicated category about the forum :slight_smile:

This is also interesting…

That doesn’t concern you as a swiss domiciled investor. You get your voucher directly from ESTV after they process your tax return in the form of tax credit for next year

1 Like

How does it work exactly with these 100k? You are supposed to have invested at least this sum or is it the value of all your holdings at every moment of time? If the prices of your ETFs fall and it’s all suddenly worth less than 100k do you start paying again or your initial 100k contribution is all that counts?

your account has a property “net value” which is the sum of all positions at their most recent price. if it’s above 100k, you don’t pay CHF10/month. if it fluctuates around 100k, i dont know.

1 Like

As Nugget said, net value decides. And the cash positions also count. Also, if you make a transaction for $6, then you just need to pay the missing $4. So it’s kind of like “minimum cost of $10/month fee”.

And finally, for the last 6 months i had around 50’000 there and they didn’t charge me this fee, I think. Maybe I missed it :thinking: , will check later.

1 Like