Interactive Brokers for dummies

Question for you guys, I am sur someone could answer it:

I know it is possible to add an additional account on IBKR. Question are how this additional account isis managed (one login/password for two account ?), and is it possible to select what kind of product will be traded with this new account, separately as the “main” account ?

My goal is to keep my main account for investment, and open an additional “margin” account separately for stock picking.

Thank in advance !

1 Like

There are users (actual individuals or business entities) and there accounts (Uxxxxx). One user can open and manage different accounts, including joint accounts with other users and more complicated stuff. After logging in as a user, you can switch accounts that you are currently managing or you are trading from.

Yes you can setup trading permission of one account completely independently from another one.

You can also transfer cash and securities between accounts belonging to the same user.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot ! You answered my questions very precisely :+1:t2:.

I didn’t find any similar question in the forum so far… I am using now ibkr and I am not successful in finding my transaction history…it’s available for the last 90 days (!). I purchase VT rarely, and I would like to have an overview of when I purchased and at which price, I didn’t write this down as I was sure it’s very basic data that should be available.

I tried the following:

1. Transfer history menu - only last 90 days (!)
  2. open VT and check the transaction history below the thicker - they don’t show up with the date (!)
  3. create a custom report “trade by symbol” - but if I open year to date it’s all aggregated

For 3) I could select each month, and get an overview by month I guess, but I hope there is a more elegant / straightforward way?

I have ibkr pro and use the relatively simple web interface.

Is there a way to get that?

Thanks

2 Likes

Sure. You need the “Activity” report (or statement) for the period you are interested in. There you need “Trades” section.

Thanks so much, got it now !

1 Like

Be aware that those reports are not available forever, so make sure to generate and backup those that you need.

1 Like

Surprise !
Somehow I got the referral bonus from my friend even if he did not generate 333+ usd in commission.

Update on Referral Bonus
Dear Client,

We want to thank you for referring a friend to IBKR. Your account U******** will be credited with USD 200 this week for your referral.

We sincerely apologize if this has taken longer than expected. Thank you again for your business and your referral.

Interactive Brokers

4 Likes

Thank you for the update.

I have 4 pending referrals that I know invested more than 10k and kept it for 1 year.

I will reach out to support.

Did you send a ticket, call or did the live chat?

Thank you

I did not contacted support since last year.
I find it weird

As I wanted to check my cash statement, I could not find such report on IB.
I find it hard to monitor compare to a classic bank account.
Classic reports did not give this option so I created a Flex query under Performance & Report that can generate more detail.

Here is the setup, I use to generate it:

Result:

I can display the referrer credit and it also summarize total commission paid (so low !) and the dividends paid since the beginning of the year.

1 Like

You can look up the currency pair via search box - for example USD.CHF - and then place the limit order like for any other position.

1 Like

I saw this option today, is possible reinvest the dividends from VT instead of receiving cash?

1 Like

AFAIK that’s Overview of IBKR's Dividend Reinvestment Program (DRIP) | IB Knowledge Base

If you have a single position, it might be worth it (otherwise you might want to use dividends to rebalance). From the FAQ it seems it still generates trading fees (so for really small sums might be annoying).

2 Likes

Definitely get KeePass. If you save your file on dropbox to be mobile and still want to get an extra security layer, you can encrypt it with VeraCrypt, it’s a container based and open source system with strong encryption. You need a little bit to get the hang out of it, but then it’s simple to use.

1 Like

KeyPass files themselves can be password protected (and the algorithm is actually secure). So it should be no problem to put them on OneDrive, if you choose a safe long password.

Does anybody know where to check the yield of the stock lending program at IB, I tried to run some reports but could only find the dividends but not the yield from the yield enhancement program.

2 Likes

Activity report,
IBKR Managed Securities Lent Activity (Stock Yield Enhancement Program)
IBKR Managed Securities Lent Interest Details (Stock Yield Enhancement Program)

I also received my bonus after being told I wouldn’t. I don’t know what happened. I was convinced that I didn’t meet the criteria. Maybe they were also convinced that the details were a bit hidden and therefore not obvious.
I’m glad I complained.

1 Like

Just a quick question, I couldn’t find any information on that: I’ve deposited some cash on my IKBR account (among other things to exchange currency) and would like to transfer it back on my bank account. However it’s not possible. The available cash is ‘0.00’. As I remember there is a period of time where the money is kind of blocked for transferring back after depositing. Can anyone tell me for how long?

1 Like