Income Level Poll

For now the median is between 125 and 150k. Not bad!

Can be a nice advertisement for this forum :rofl:

Yeah the avg. seems to be around 130k.

1 Like

40% making more than 150k, I need a massive raise :rofl:

3 Likes

not enough resolution on the high end, I think

4 Likes

For context we could compare against official gov stats, but I only found numbers on household income and not individual:

Unfortunately in my case my individual income = household income, but hopefully we can change this in a year or two.

I’ve long had the impression that IT developers are well overrepresented among the forum’s members.

Also, even if there is no study behind that but I would assume that people which are interested in FIRE are interested in finance or just money hence maybe the relatively high salaries

I am a software dev and earn “only” 90k gross. Should I look for a new job? ._.

1 Like

Entry level at big tech is pretty close to 200k total comp: Google L3 Software Engineer Salaries for Switzerland | Levels.fyi

1 Like

It’s possible. It depends on your education, career progression and most importantly industry and company type.

Take a look at the below survey. It’s only a fraction on people that can get there but it’s possible.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see that, according to the Michael Page guide, fixed income portolio managers have a better compensation than equity portfolio managers. :smiley:

3 Likes

My understanding is that fixed income so bond trader has better market understanding and use fundamental analysis. Or at least used to. Does not mean they don’t use technical analysis too. But they are the ones that understand better where the market is heading. They made lot of money back in the days, possible less than equity over the last bull run. Sorry off topic

I can only echo @nabalzbhf and @SteveDB mentioned it highly depends on the education, position and industry. What I can add from my personal experience is that foreign companies pay better bonuses than Swiss companies and smaller companies pay better than large companies. However, of course that is only my very limited sample size. But just to give you an example: a college which works for Roche can buy Roche shares with a discount (I think it was about 20%) where I get annually 60‘000$ worth of shares as equity bonus. So even if we would have the same base salary there would be still a 60‘000$ gap.
Of course the volatility of my shares is way higher than Roche but still it’s a considerable amount

5 Likes

overall i think this poll is nonsensical, as it does not correct for any factors

• education
  • experience / seniority
  • work%
  • job type
  • sector
  • etc

i think the only reliable way to get info on the topic is find your best matching peers within and outside of your company and straight out ask them. I don’t say this is easy :smiley:

3 Likes

Why? The poll is about the Swiss mustachianpost users, not about your peers.

2 Likes

This poll is what it is and it doesn’t need any corrections.

3 Likes

because there is not much sense in comparing incomes of people in arbitrary life setting and occupation.
I like the other thread on income progression much more, it contains much more relevant information

1 Like

I would just specify a bit more details on how to calculate this number, eg. yearly, gross, base + all bonuses, with or without stock grants etc. I’m not sure if everyone voting had the same rules in mind and would be better to specify it a bit more, to compare apples to apples.

I agree and we kind of discussed it, but I leave it to the topic starter to specify.

Yeah, I had in mind yearly, gross, base + all bonuses, with stock grants - so total renumeration package.