IBKR: Recurring Investments available!

The way it is setup (you can only specify an amount, not a number of shares) it seems like it.
I’d prefer not to use fractional shares generally so that is another point.
Would be great if you could specify a number of shares, or simply add a ‘recurring’ option to a normal limit order.

1 Like

Or just “round down to nearest whole number of shares” for a fixed currency amount

2 Likes

Anyway I am afraid that commission at SIX and other European exchanges would be too high for small recurring investments.

1 Like

Yes I would prefer avoiding fractions as well. It seems to be technically able of what you suggest, but perhaps not offer it as an option:

8. Will I receive whole shares or fractional shares?

You will receive fractional shares for the stocks where we offer fractions. If the stock is not offered in fractions, you will receive full shares up to the cash amount.

After a period of recurring investments, is there an option to define a buy/sell order to end up with a whole number of shares? (get rid of fractional shares)

Is there a way in Interactive Brokers to set up a recurring buy (DCA) but with an additional simple condition - to be executed - only if the price is below from a certain value (which will be provided manually from the user).

I know just the recurring buy is available, but if you would like one more - very simple - condition? or maybe any workarounds possible to achieve that, without APIs or coding…?

Limit order with a specific start time and one day validity? All orders probably have to be created manually in Trader Workstation, but as long as you don’t want an order every day, it should be feasible.

2 Likes

You can buy or sell fractional amount of shares normally.

Wouldn’t you have to log in to manually set that price for every recurring transaction?
In that case, couldn’t you directly do the full transaction yourself? :slight_smile:

The idea would be that the price wouldn’t be manually readjusted every month - only on demand when required - and the automatic order would be still keep going…

I think the above mentioned solution to maybe just set a limit order once a month is the best

Looks like Recurring Investments is only enabled for “Stocks”, so no “Forex”, which is kind of a bummer.

1 Like

Right. If you have a limit order, you can just start it and let it run until it is filled or manually cancelled.

2 Likes

Well, at least a recurring order that executes automatically converts the currency when needed.
I had it buy VT, and it converted CHF to USD to do it.

3 Likes

And the fee was $2 for the transaction?

1 Like

Interesting enough, it says:
Commission: 0.0

Great! Thanks for sharing. Makes it so much easier if they autoconvert CHF to buy USD products. IBKR just gets better and better :+1:.

1 Like

I have a cash account so its a forced conversion, but they did not skip the order. I found some costs still on the latest statement, but they were USD 0.29 related to the FX conversion (not sure, where this comes from).
In any case still better than USD 2 :slight_smile:

Was the trade for about USD 1000? If so, the cost might be 3 basis points, matching Pricing | IBKR GlobalTrader

1 Like

It converted a remaining amount of USD 411 out of my CHF balance

I was buying a European ETF traded in EUR via recurring investment at IB. I deposited CHF as a source of funds. Results: commission for the trade was 1.25 EUR broker changes, no third party charges. Currency exchange of CHF to EUR was instant and the commission was 0.

I think they just have killed degiro.ch.

7 Likes