IB registration - financial institution

I tried opening an account at IB and there is a question whether I work for a financial company.

I work for an investment foundation, we sell our own funds to private and institutional clients. However the funds are not managed by us, instead they are managed by a bunch of different, independent asset managers.

The definition from IB is not clear enough for me to tell whether this counts as a financial institution.

What do you think?

What you’re describing sounds like a financial company, why not just reply yes?

Because then they need to get the approval of my employer and may even need to send the transactions.

I don’t really care, but seems a bit overkill in my opinion.

Selling your “own” funds?
I’d certainly not negate working for a financial institution based on anonymous online advice then.

https://ibkr.info/article/1160

1 Like

They are only sold to pension funds or 3rd pillar clients.

I assume that this whole thing is to avoid that people do front/parallel running of trades or similar prohibited trading practices, because they have some informational advantage/insider information, which is definitely not the case for me.

That’s a great idea, I will try that.

I opened the account in the meantime and it looks like everything got accepted and I’ll be able to trade as soon as my funds arrive there. I asked our compliance officer and he did not receive any communication from IB.

I received a notification from IB with instructions on what I need to send to my conpliance officer. I prepared everything to send it on the following Monday.

Then suddenly I got a notification from IB that the registration is now complete and I can start trading. I asked our compliance officer whether he received anything or not, but he did not receive anything. Maybe they noticed during the process that it doesn’t apply to me.

I was able to transfer money and invest it successfully.

Just wait, for me it was a matter of 2 working days until they approved everything.

1 Like