I’m about to buy a 1.5Mio house please prove me wrong

I’m the OP and I’m really delighted to see all the different point of views.

This is really helpful in many ways. Thanks to all mustachians for cordially sharing their astute feedback

2 Likes

That’s a bet on them staying this low for the foreseable future. If interest rates start getting hiked, property prices (and stocks for that matter too) will take a dive in no time

There is plenty of space to build! Have you been in Paris or London? Zurich is like a rural village compared to them, density-wise. There’s just no political will to turn Zurich into Paris. Yet.

That’s, still kind of tiny if you ask me. And you have to share the house with other people… I recently checked. For the price of swiss 100 sq m i sold not long ago here, i can buy a friggin’ castle in my hometown, 2000+ sq m, near city center, free standing, modernly remodelled, move-in ready, and all the usual amenties for such size (pool, yuuuge gargen/park included etc)

Real estate is a huge undiversified bet on location. Switzerland is now very desirable. What about in 10-20-30 years? If other european countries catch up to local standards of living and taxation?

1 Like

It’s fine that you have your preferences for wealth, housing and other amenities. Differing points of view are often a valuable addition to this forum.

But dude, what’s the point in formulating a lot of your comments in a way that puts down more modest aspirations or more frugal preferences? I find it seriously off-putting.

2 Likes

Make sure you have all the data to calculate the total costs : Eigenmietwert, detailed expected Nebenkosten, Erneuerungsfond. Eventually ask for a plan for future big renovations like roof, fassade etc.

Very good calculator to at least try and quantify the buy vs rent decision.

Apparent, but doesn’t answer my question.
What’s the point?

1 Like

If you’re curious, they seem to use 2% yield on assets (I was wondering).

You don’t take on the risk of the Swiss real estate market. You take on the idiosyncratic risk of a single apartment.

1 Like

Forgot the amortization amount in the total costs to consider.
I’ve got some friends who put everything or almost everything (pillars) on the table to buy their “dream house”. And they got some bad surprises like a high amount to amortize (like 20k per year) and/or a high Eigenmietwert (like 50k per year).

Also important to get several estimations of value of the property from different banks, as you will be financed only up to this amount. The rest shall then come from your pocket.

If it would be my dream house (= we falI in love), I could eventually consider to make a financial effort to get it. But I would then not necessarily see it as an investment. Time only can tell if it was a good investment or not.

that’s sweet, thanks. It JUST makes owning cheaper with our data (<10k).
Maybe it’s time to reconsider this thing. :slight_smile:

The amount to amortize is fix, so no surprises there (33% of the property in 15 years)
The Eigenmietwert is also something you can ask at the local Gemeinde well before a single brick was laid.

I mentioned above that I’m not looking to consider this as an investment.

1 Like

Amortization: I happened to have different amortization levels offered by different banks for the same property, thus my comment (though it concerned a rental property)

Investment: my bad, I did not read your recent answer above. However you mentioned at the beginning you considered renting the flat at a later stage if needed.

A last point I forgot : you might end up with more than 1.2 million depending on the type of material you will choose to build in your flat, in case you want to upgrade

Based on my experience just make sure the price of 1.2 is a “good” buying price

What people think of you and how you talk to people is not the same thing. If you want to play the rough card, at least bring something valuable to the table. If you can’t , then starting being more respectful will be a good start.

18 Likes

Sure, in a shit country.
Who cares about that.
(to put it your way)

7 Likes

guys, rather not feed the troll, please. let it go. Le style c’est homme.

7 Likes

I had enough comments on this board that were valuable / appreciated / brought interesting information

But if y’all feel this way, i’m outta here and will stop sharing any more of my knowledge here

r/fatfire is more like my place. too many piss poor people here for my taste - nothing to learn from them

1 Like

If anyone is wondering how to ignore a person on the forum:

Properties -> Notifications -> Users

You can choose up to a year.

1 Like

May be piss poor, but with integrity and humility.

Bye and have fun in life

I actually found some valuable info in your comments - however this was really cheap and useless.

2 Likes

80% insults, 20% useful I’d say… have fun with the reddit moderators.